There’s nothing like fresh blackberries in August! I grew up picking berries in the woods behind our house- 4 cups made a pie. I loved berry picking and HATED the pie (I can’t stand my fruit cooked!) When I was home visiting family a week ago my mom and I went picking and I came home with a big bowl of fresh blackberries. I wanted to see if I could make a fresh (UNCOOKED!) berry pie with them and it turned out wonderfully! YUM!!!! I used a tart pan and had LOTS of filling left over since it was so shallow- I recommend making 2 tarts or a pie with this recipe.
- Blackberries! (aren’t they beautiful?)- about 4 cups.
- One refrigerated pie crust (for pie). (Two pie crusts for tarts.)
- One small box (3oz.) of Jello- I used Blackberry Fusion- it was amazing- I’m sure Raspberry would work just fine if you can’t find the Blackberry.
- One small box (3.4oz.) of Jello instant vanilla pudding
- 2 1/4 c. cold water
- Cool Whip
- Spread pie crust into the bottom of a pie plate or tart pan and cook as directed on package. Cool completely. (I really think this pie would taste great in a pre-made graham cracker crust if you want to make this recipe REALLY easy!)
- In a medium saucepan mix together the jello, pudding and water. Cook over medium heat.
- Bring mixture to a boil, stirring constantly.
- Cool in refrigerator until slightly set.
- Add berries and mix until all berries are incorporated (save a few out to decorate the top!!)
- Spoon pie filling into crust(s) and chill overnight.
- Before serving, spoon cool whip on top and decorate with fresh berries. YUM!!
My thoughts: You are going to LOVE this pie Our berries were fairly tart and this pie was so sweet and tangy it was perfect! Since I had only prepared one tart crust I had left over filling that I spooned into cups. Just added Cool Whip and granola for a yummy breakfast treat. I love how firm the pie got– no runny cooked fruit here!
On a side note: My new obsession with food photography makes me laugh sometimes. I was trying to catch some natural light staying INSIDE (since it was hot enough to actually cook my fruit pie outside). I cleaned my kitchen floor, found a pretty placemat and a patch of good light and started taking pictures. When I finally looked up I had to laugh –and take a picture of my VERY obedient puppy:
Have a great weekend everyone!!!!! -r