These little mini cinnamon cakes are the perfect make-ahead treat. Perfect as dessert and such a sweet and yummy breakfast! Dripping with sweet glaze, these will be a new family favorite, and the best part? They use a cake mix and they are SO easy!!!
Ready to make these fun little cakes? Click here for the printable recipe.
- 2 cups brown sugar (packed)
- ½ cup butter (melted)
- 2 tablespoons cinnamon
- 36 pecan halves (optional)
- One boxed yellow cake mix
- Water, oil and eggs to make mix according to box
- 1 cup of powdered sugar
- 1 to 2 tablespoons of milk
- ½ teaspoon of vanilla
- Preheat oven to 350F degrees
- Spray two muffin tins with non-stick cooking spray
- Place brown sugar, cinnamon and melted butter into a small bowl and mix until well combined.
- Spoon sugar mixture evenly into all 24 cups of the muffin tins.
- Use a mini tart shaper or a wooden spoon to press sugar mixture flat into the bottom of each cup.
- Place 3 pecans on top of sugar.
- Make cake mix according to box instructions.
- Scoop batter over the top of sugar and pecans. Fill each cup about 2/3 full.
- Bake at 350F degrees for 18-20 minutes.
- Remove from oven and quickly run a small knife around the edge of each cup.
- Using oven mitts, place a wire cake rack on top of the muffin tin and flip the pan and rack over so that cakes are upside down on the rack.
- Gently lift the muffin tin up and allow the cakes to pop out. Some sugar will remain in the bottom of each cup, which is fine.
- While cakes cool, make a glaze by mixing milk, vanilla and powdered sugar together in a small bowl. Add extra milk or powdered sugar to make glaze a thick frosting consistency- not very runny.
- Spoon glaze into a small zip-top bag and seal the top.
- Clip a corner of the bag and drizzle glaze over the tops of each little cake.
My thoughts: These are really easy little treats and they are gobbled up fast! I’ve made them twice now and everyone asks for the recipe. I made my second batch without the pecans on half of them. They were still wonderful and make this recipe yummy for even people who don’t like or can’t have nuts. Keep them covered up and they last a few days- a perfect make-ahead Christmas morning treat!