You’ve heard of cake pops, cookie pops, brownie pops, doughnut pops and even pie pops— but have you ever tried a Hot Chocolate Pop? Creamy chocolate surrounding a marshmallow surprise center- pop it into a cup of hot milk and YUM- a perfect yummy creamy cup of cocoa. Wrap them up and they make the PERFECT winter gift!
- Wilton White Candy Melts and Wilton Dark Candy Cocoa Melts. You will need about one 12 oz. bag per 8 pops.
- Marshmallows (one for every pop you intend to make!)
- Stir sticks (I found these cute dowels at Michaels)
- Small plastic cups (I used 3 oz. clear plastic cups by Solo)
- Clear plastic bags I used Wilton Lollipop Bags -they are so easy- perfect size and come with a bow!
- Cute tags– use mine if you want or make your own!!
- Melt candy melts in the microwave in 30 second increments, stirring between until smooth.
- Spoon melted candy into a zip-top bag and seal.
- Clip a corner off and squeeze about a teaspoon of chocolate into the bottom of each cup. Tap cup against counter to spread chocolate and remove bubbles.
- Place cups in the refrigerator for about 5 minutes until chocolate is hard.
- Press dowels or stir sticks into marshmallows
- Squeeze about 2 teaspoons of chocolate (I used a contrasting color) into cup and while it is still melted, press marshmallow into cup (this will squeeze the chocolate up along the sides of the cup.) Tap to remove bubbles.
- Top with chocolate until marshmallow is completely covered -or—
- (If you are using contrasting chocolates) Refrigerate about 10 minutes until second layer is hard and then add contrasting chocolate over the top, completely covering marshmallow.
- Place cups in fridge for about 30 minutes to an hour.
- Clip top of cup with scissors and tear it down the side which will release the pop.
- Serve or gift wrap! Enjoy!!!
- To eat pop: Use a BIG mug (20 oz.) and heat up about 10oz. of milk in it. Place pop in hot milk and stir until smooth and creamy!
My thoughts: I love these so much…I love to come up with fun and creative edible gifts each year for giving in bulk (Bible studies, family get-togethers, hair stylist etc…) and these are just FUN!!! I am wholeheartedly a blonde and my 1st use of these involved a full cup of hot milk plus a pop -resulting in a huge lake of hot milk on the counter…so learn from me and use a big cup with room in it for the pop- lol!
Also– I found MINT Wiltons candy melts and that is how I got the mint cocoa flavor. I just added a little layer of green candy melt before I put lots of white melts and a marshmallow– I like how it turned out! I wish I’d thought to take pictures as I went for you- I just forgot! (NOTE: see below!!) Experiment with colors and flavors- these are pretty forgiving projects!
Enjoy– and a very Merry Christmas to you!!!! -R
Ok– I had to make a second batch because I ran out. Since I was making them again I took the time to take some pictures for you of the process:
I hope these help– have fun!! r-