Nothing says Merry Christmas like peppermint and chocolate! These beautiful little brownies combine those two flavors in a colorful, layered treat!
These brownies are an Easybaked staple. I’ve swapped that peppermint filling up for everything from cookie dough to caramel. I love recipes that can be changed up with different flavors and looks!!! This peppermint candy cane flavor is the most beautiful filling I’ve used in these though. The guests at every party I’ve shared them at have all commented on how pretty and festive they are. They just make me smile- and they really aren’t that difficult to make! Promise.
This recipe makes a lot of brownies. The good news? They freeze really well and can be made ahead for all your Christmas gatherings. Just pop them out of the freezer and thaw!
Here’s how we made them: (printable recipe)
- 1cup butter
- 2 cups sugar
- 3 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 2 cups flour
- 1/2 cup cocoa
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup milk
- 5 cups powdered sugar
- 8 tablespoons melted butter
- 2 teaspoons peppermint extract
- red and pink food coloring
- 12oz. semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 12 tablespoons butter (do not substitute margarine here!)
- Wilton Candy melts in Red, Pink and White (if desired for design on top)
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Cream butter and sugar together.
- Beat in eggs, cocoa, vanilla and salt.
- Add flour and milk (alternating them and mixing well in between)
- Spread evenly in greased jelly roll pan (12 1/2 x 17 1/2 x 1″).
- Bake at 350 degrees for 15 minutes or until done in center and just starting to pull away from sides.
- Add melted butter to sugar and extract.
- Mix well, using water to bring it to a thick but spreadable consistency.
- Divide into 3 parts and use food coloring to color one part red, and one part pink.
- Place little dollops of each colored filling all over the cooled brownies (I placed the fillings in small zip-top bags, clipped a corner off and piped these on.
- Spread colors together into one even layer that covers entire top of brownies.
- Melt butter and chocolate together in the microwave in 30 second increments, stirring in between until completely melted and smooth.
- If desired, melt about 1/8cup each of Wilton’s Candy Melts in White, Red and Pink. Place in small zip-top bags and clip corner on each.
- Pour melted chocolate and butter mixture over peppermint filling and spread evenly over top.
- Immediately, pipes lines in all three candy melt colors across the entire top of the brownies.
- Immediately after piping, use a toothpick or a cake-tester to drag across these lines- first one direction and then back the opposite to make the colorful design on top.
- Chill until top layer is hard and cut into squares.
My thoughts: Love them! This brownie recipe never fails me, and I love experimenting with different flavors of filling! These will add a festive and fun layer to any dessert tray at your Christmas celebrations! Enjoy!! ~r
Take a look at some of the other fillings we have used in these brownies: (click on a photo to open the recipe)
These really are gorgeous! Adding the idea to next year’s holiday baking list!
Thank you!!! Enjoy them! 🙂
Like Artwork! Beautiful!!!!!!
Pingback: Candy Cane Brownies | eASYbAKED | straykatstrut
How gorgeous are these! Too pretty to eat almost! ….almost… haha
Pingback: Peppermint “Smoke Bomb” Brownies! | eASYbAKED
Pingback: Fireworks Tart! | eASYbAKED
Pingback: A Cup of Cheer! Christmas Punch Pops. | EASYBAKED