These chocolate cupcakes are filled with creamy marshmallow and topped with a rich ganache frosting, marshmallows and almonds! YUM!!!!!
These are fork-eating cupcakes! You’ll love that combination of rocky road flavors in these rich and messy-to-eat cupcakes.
I absolutely love this frosting. I have used ganache for many recipes, but I’d never taken the time to whip it up into a frosting. Now that I’ve tried it, I will be back for more- this frosting is so rich and chocolatey!!! Ready for a recipe?
Here you go: (printable version)
- One box of chocolate cake mix (with oil, water and eggs to make according to package)
- One large jar (13 oz) of Jet-Puffed Marshmallow Creme
- One bag of semi-sweet chocolate chips *
- 1/2 cup of whipping cream *
(*double these two ingredients if you want to pile your frosting high like mine is)
- One bag of mini-marshmallows
- 1 cup of slivered or sliced almonds
- a little white chocolate to drizzle on top, if desired
- Start your frosting first, as it needs to chill before you beat it, and double the recipe if you want piles of frosting like mine. I went a little overboard for fun pictures!! 🙂
- Place 1/2 cup of whipping cream into a medium saucepan and heat it on the stove until the cream starts to bubble just a bit on the edges, stirring as it heats. Turn off the heat, add the chocolate chips and cover for 5 minutes.
- Stir melted chocolate and warm cream together until completely smooth (a “ganache”). Put it in a medium bowl and refrigerate until it is a cool, spoonable consistency (30 minutes to an hour).
- Make cake mix according to box, and divide equally into 24 cupcake lines placed in a muffin tin.
- Bake as directed on box, and cool completely.
- Core cupcakes using a small knife, or a cupcake corer. I used the Chicago Metallics one, and for $4 there is just no reason to not get one- it makes filling cupcakes SOOOO easy! Isn’t your birthday coming up???
- Spoon entire jar of marshmallow fluff into a gallon-size zip-top bag and clip a corner off with scissors. Squeeze the marshmallow into the middle of each cupcake and then trim a little of the core you removed and place the “lid” back on top of the filling.
- Remove cooled chocolate ganache from refrigerator and beat on high until light and fluffy.
- Place icing in a gallon size zip-top bag that has been fitted with a decorating tip in one corner, and pipe icing onto the cupcakes.
- Decorate with almonds, and mini marshmallows. I also added some mini chocolate chips (because I had some leftovers from another recipe) and I melted some white chocolate to drizzle on top. Be creative and make these little marshmallow-y cupcakes irresistible!!!!
My thoughts: These are FABULOUS cupcakes. I love the gooey marshmallow creme surprise in the middle! And that frosting….. oh my. A few tips: the frosting does harden up, so get those almonds and marshmallows placed in it as soon as you are done piping the frosting on. This is good, because it holds all those yummy toppings in place! Also, store these all sealed up. You know what happens when you leave the bag of marshmallows open? Yucky, rubbery, dried up marshmallows! The same will happen if you just let these set out.
I hope you love these little yummy desserts!!!! ~r
Want some other ideas for that new cupcake corer? We love filled cupcakes here at Easybaked! Here’s a few of our favorites:
Oooh, great minds think alike!! I love your take on rocky road!
Haha! Thank you- and I enjoyed your take on it as well!! 🙂
Hard to resist them! I would like one right now
These look really amazing!
LOVE!!!! I have to fill a cupcake with marshmallow cream, fantastic.
It worked out better than I thought it might. I was afraid it would be too sticky, but it piped in just fine! YUM! Thanks for stopping by!!
oooh a cupcake corer, so faaaancy 🙂 and that topping look so perfect!
Haha! It’s not that fancy! They are so cheap and it makes filling cupcakes not such a chore- I really reeeeaaallly love mine! I use it today, in fact- lol! Thanks for stopping by to say hi! 🙂
They looks awesome! I’ve made ganache before, but I’ve never whipped it into frosting either. Will definitely have to give it a go 🙂
I was so surprised by how easy and yummy it was. Other than having to wait for it to cool, it is really quick! Sooooooo yummy. Like whipped fudge!
well these look indulgent and delicious! Fantastic idea. Love the filling too!
I’m new to your blog, and after reading this post, I’m so happy I found it! I have never thought to add marshmallow fluff as a cupcake filling. Genius!
Thank you– and welcome! I’m so glad you found out little corner of the internet!! Enjoy!!! 🙂
they look delicious!
Pingback: Rocky Road Cupcakes by Easybaked
Pingback: Rocky Road Cupcakes - Cupcake Daily Blog - Best Cupcake Recipes .. one happy bite at a time!
Pingback: Rocky Road Cupcakes! | MBSIB: The Man With The Golden Tongs
Pingback: Filled Cupcakes (Recipe Collection) - Moms & Munchkins
Pingback: Rocky Road Cupcakes – Thoughts by Z.
Pingback: Rocky Road Cookies! | eASYbAKED