Layers of brownie, soft caramel and fudge make this dessert irresistible!!!
If these brownies look familiar to you, it is because they are the very same recipe as my Mint Creme Brownies but with a thick layer of caramel instead of the mint creme. I love these brownies because they hold together so well and are so chocolatey and rich- the sky is the limit as far as different toppings you could layer on top of them, but here’s a recipe for caramel:
- 1c. butter
- 2c. sugar
- 3 eggs
- 2 tsp. vanilla
- 1/2c. cocoa
- 1/2tsp. salt
- 2 c. flour
- 1c. milk
- 1 c. chopped pecans (optional)
- 32 Kraft caramels (unwrapped)
- 1/2c. butter
- 1 (14 oz.) can of sweetened condensed milk.
- 12oz. semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 12 T. butter (do not substitute margarine here!)
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Cream butter and sugar together.
- Beat in eggs, cocoa, vanilla and salt.
- Add flour and milk (alternating them and mixing well in between).
- Spread evenly in greased jelly roll pan.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 15 minutes or until done in center and just starting to pull away from sides.
- Place unwrapped caramels, butter and sweetened condensed milk into a saucepan and heat until completely melted.
- Stir this constantly to prevent scorching (about 6-8 minutes).
- Gently pour over cooled brownies and spread to edges.
- Put entire pan in freezer while you make the glaze (10-15 min) to allow the caramel to harden a little.
- Melt butter and chocolate together in the microwave in 30 second increments, stirring in between until completely melted and smooth.
- Pour over cooled caramel and gently spread evenly over top
- Chill until top layer is hard and cut into bars.
My thoughts: The mint creme brownies are one of my favorite desserts— add caramel instead and these are just soft gooey sweet amazingness. If you want a harder caramel layer just store these in the fridge until you serve them. Softer caramel? Leave at room temperature and serve with a fork! I wish I didn’t have a plate of them left in my kitchen….they are calling me….do you hear them?? Enjoy!!! r-