These crunchy little cookies are full of sweet coconut and tart lemon drop flavor- yum!!!
- 12 T. (1 and 1/2 sticks) butter -room temp.
- 1/2 c. sugar
- 1 t. vanilla extract
- 6 t. lemon juice
- 1 1/2 c. flour
- 1 c. finely crushed cornflakes
- yellow food coloring (to desired shade)
- 1 c. shredded coconut
- 1/2 c. Wilton’s candy melt in white chocolate
- 15 lemon drops (or other lemon-flavored hard candy)
- Heat oven to 250 degrees.
- Place 1 c. shredded coconut on a small cookie sheet and place in oven for 10-15 minutes until it is dried and crunchy— not browned– just dry and crunchy. Remove from oven and cool.
- When coconut is cool, use your hands to crush it up into smaller pieces, set aside.
- Heat oven to 350 degrees.
- Line two cookie sheets with parchment paper.
- Cream sugar and butter together, add vanilla.
- Add lemon juice, food coloring, flour and coconut, beating until well combined.
- Add crushed cornflakes and mix (use clean hands if you want!) until well combined.
- Use a small cookie scoop to spoon batter onto parchment paper. Press tops down a little to make the cookie flat on top.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 12-16 minutes.
- Allow cookies to cool.
- Crush candies in a small zip-top bag using a hammer.
- Melt Wilton’s candy melts in a small bowl in the microwave in 30 second increments until smooth and completely melted.
- Spoon melted white chocolate into a zip top bag, clip a corner off and drizzle over each cookie.
- Before chocolate hardens, sprinkle generously with crushed candy. Allow chocolate to harden and ENJOY!!
My thoughts: These cookies were really a stretch as far as inventing goes– I was really unsure if they would be any good at all. They are SO yummy- I’ve had 4 now…(shhh….) I took them to a Labor Day picnic and everyone loved them– especially the “crunchiness”. Well, everyone but my Uncle Keith who hates coconut….who hates coconut? Just seems wrong. Anyway– if you like lemon and candy and coconut and cookies—you are gonna love these little treats!!!! Enjoy! -r