This week’s family recipe comes to us from Florida…or Yellowstone…or Peru….or wherever my wonderful adventurous Aunt Paula might be. She and my Uncle Jim have literally travelled the world and done the most interesting things. They are great story tellers and a family meal with them is a treasure.
I had never tried this recipe before, but Paula and Jim submitted it to our family cookbook and titled it “The Best Chocolate Pie in the World”. How can you resist trying a pie with a name like that?!??
The chocolate flavor in this pie filling is extraordinarily good. Very rich and dark. I’m really not a pie person (check the rest of this blog….not too many pies…) but this one is worth trying, it’s very yummy!
Here’s is the recipe: (printable version)
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 5 tablespoons of cocoa
- 3 egg yolks, beaten
- 2 cups hot milk
- 1 stick (1/2 cup) butter. melted
- 1 1/2 teaspoons of vanilla
- Prepare a graham cracker or a plain baked pie crust. Since I rarely make pie, I just used a refrigerated pie crust and baked it according to the package. If you have a favorite crust recipe, now’s the time.
- In a large, heavy saucepan, combine dry ingredients together.
- Heat milk over stove or in the microwave and add it gradually to the dry ingredients, stirring as you add.
- Add butter and egg yolks and mix well.
- Cook on stove over low heat until thickened, stirring constantly. (I did not allow mine to cook long enough the first time I made this and it didn’t firm up very well. Cook it until it is a very thick custard like consistency. Mine actually boiled before it thickened enough.)
- Remove from heat
- Mix in vanilla.
- Pour into prepared pie crust and chill several hours or overnight.
My thoughts: Such an easy way to get your chocolate fix! This pie is soooo good with a cup of coffee and a little whipped cream on top…YUM! Thank you for sharing your wonderful dessert with us Aunt Paula! Enjoy your latest Caribbean adventure!! ~r
The other lonely (yet yummy!) pie recipes of Easybaked: