My apologies to those of you who have commented or asked questions here in the past few weeks~ the holidays got the better of me this year. I got terribly sick on Christmas day and my sweet little Casper got sick a week later. We are both still recovering, but SO much better! As one of my friends said, “You can tell she’s really sick when she doesn’t even want to bake!”
This recipe just couldn’t be easier, and easy is what I needed this week! Our family likes to eat at a wonderful Amish restaurant called Das Dutchmen Essenhaus and they have a german chocolate pie there that is AMAZING. It is by far my favorite pie. I’ve been looking for recipes that come close to recreating this pie and so far I’ve had no luck duplicating it. This recipe is worth noting though, as it is easy and really yummy. It is sooooo rich- serve it with ice cream or whipped topping, and in small slices.
INGREDIENTS: (recipe taken from here)
- 1 8-ounce package Baker’s semi-sweet chocolate
- 1/4 cup butter or margarine
- 1 13-ounce can sweetened condensed milk
- 1-1/3 cups shredded coconut
- 3 eggs, slightly beaten
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 9-inch unbaked pie shell (you’ll need a deep-dish)
- whipped cream or ice cream (optional, but this is so rich, you’ll need it)
- Preheat oven to 400F degrees.
- In a saucepan, melt chocolate and butter over medium heat.
- Add sweetened condensed milk, coconut, eggs and sugar. Stir until blended.
- Pour into unbaked pie shell (I used a frozen one, and the filling came all the way up to the top!)
- Set pie on a cookie sheet and bake in a preheated 400 deg oven for 30 -40min.
- Cool or serve warm with a dollop of whipped cream or ice-cream.
- Store in refrigerator.
My thoughts: A simple and delicious dessert, this is a great “need something at the last minute” recipe to have on hand. Enjoy!!!! ~r
Other pie recipes you might enjoy from Easybaked: (click on the image to be taken to the recipe)