Nothing says “April Fools’ Day!” like these fun spaghetti cupcakes with a yummy chocolate “meatball” on top!
“You put spaghetti on a cupcake?”
Direct quote from one of the kids I offered this cupcake to.
I love April Fools’ Day! When I was little, my mom was always trying to fool us with food. I remember opening up my lunch at school one year and seeing green milk and a sandwich with no meat and an apple with little candy worms coming out of it. I’m sure she was laughing every year when she packed lunch on April 1.
So, I try to be original here on Easybaked. My favorite moments are when I have an idea, I google it, and NOTHING comes up. Believe it or not, that happened to me with Oreo Pops. Nobody had done them when I created my 1st batch!
THIS recipe is not an Easybaked original. It is one I saw all over the internet, and simply had to make for myself!
SO much fun- these just make me smile 🙂
Here is how we made these little April Fools’ Day treats! (printable recipe here)
- One boxed yellow cake mix, plus water, oil and eggs to make according to package
- 2 sticks (one cup) of salted butter, at room temperature
- 2 sticks (one cup) of unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 3 cups of powdered sugar
- 2 teaspoons of vanilla
- Yellow food coloring
- One can of raspberry pie filling
- 24 Ferrero Rocher chocolates
- 1/4 cup of white chocolate chips
- Melt white chocolate chips in the microwave in 30 second increments, stirring in between until melted and smooth.
- Spoon this into a small paper or disposable plastic cup and place in the freezer for later.
- Make cake mix according to box, and divide into 24 cupcake liners in cupcake tins.
- Bake according to package and cool. Place them into a couple of cake pans so you can move them easily into the fridge.
- Place butters, vanilla, and powdered sugar into a large mixing bowl and beat on high until very light and fluffy (3-4 minutes).
- Add a TINY bit of yellow food coloring. Your frosting will already be a touch yellow from your butter, but you want it to be the pale yellow of spaghetti noodles.
- Place frosting into a large zip-top bag and seal. Clip a corner, or if you have one, add a round decorating tip to a corner before adding frosting to the bag. You can experiment with the size. I liked nice fat noodles better than thinner ones. They were more defined.
- Pipe random swirls of noodles on the tops of each cupcake. Be careful to not touch the tip to anything or they will smudge and look like frosting rather than noodles!
- Place cupcakes into the refrigerator for 15-30 minutes. You want that buttercream to harden up before you place anything on top.
- Open can of pie filling, and unwrap chocolates.
- Remove cupcakes from fridge and place a chocolate into the pie filling. Gently spoon it out and set it on top of frosting “noodles”. I experimented, and it looks more realistic if you leave just a meatball on top, and don’t mess with artistically spooning sauce anywhere else- extra sauce makes it look messy, and you notice that the color isn’t exactly right. You can see how I did this wrong in the photos below:
- Once all cupcakes have a “meatball”, pull the cup of white chocolate out of the freezer. Tear away the paper cup- leaving a little circle of white chocolate.
- Grate this over the top of each cupcake. This is the finishing touch- don’t skip this step 🙂
My thoughts: I LOVE these!!!!!!!!! They were so much fun to make and I was so surprised at how much they really look like spaghetti! Plus they are soooo yummy! Buttercream + raspberries + chocolate = yes please!!!!!! I hope you have a chance to fool someone you love with these delicious little treats this year!!! ~r
Other fun April Fools’ ideas (click on a photo to see the recipe)
These are wonderful!!
Pingback: Spaghetti and Meatball Cupcakes | homethoughtsfromabroad626
Pingback: April Fool’s!!! (a collection of our best “fooled-ya’ recipes!) | EASYBAKED