I’ve been making these since I was a little girl. They are so easy to put together and so fun to share with people! Both kids and adults will smile when they see these on the table or tucked into a lunch box!
Want to know how to make these cute little treats? Here’s the recipe: (printable version)
- 1 box of Nilla Wafers
- 1 bag of York Peppermint Patties
- 1/3 cup each of red, green and yellow Wilton’s candy melts.
- Preheat the oven to 350F degrees
- Unwrap all of your peppermint patties. (Usually there are 24-26 of them per bag)
- Count out twice that many Nilla Wafers (choose the pretty and unbroken ones!)
- Place half of the Nilla Wafers, flat side up, on a cookie sheet.
- Set one peppermint patty on each Nilla wafer.
- Carefully place the cookie sheet in the oven for 1 to 2 minutes, just long enough to melt the chocolate coating on the peppermint patty. (This will melt the bottom of the peppermint to the Nilla wafer).
- In 3 small bowls, melt the Candy Melts in the microwave in 30 second increments, stirring between until completely melted and smooth.
- Place each of the 3 melted colors in separate zip-top bags.
- Clip one corner and drizzle one color across tops of each peppermint. Repeat this with other two colors.
- Gently press a Nilla wafer, flat side down, on top of the drizzled candy melts. Press to gently squeeze the “ketchup, lettuce and cheese” colors out at the edge of the cookie “bun”.
- Allow cookies to harden completely.
I like to serve them with those little mini potato sticks. I wanted to take some pictures with some, but I couldn’t find any at the grocery store here. Trust me, the salty and sweet is a yummy combination.
My thoughts: My mom was downright mischievous on April Fools Day. I had green milk and no meat on my sandwich and holes poked in my apple. This is a fun “eating hamburgers for dessert” prank that will make your family smile. Plus they are SO yummy! Enjoy!!! ~r
Other fun treats you might like: