A Nilla Wafer crust filled with a creamy key lime pie and topped with piles and piles of sweet whipped key lime topping. If you love key lime pie, this is your new favorite recipe for it!!
I adore key lime pie. I love that tart and smooth pie filling. Whenever I get the opportunity, I try key lime pies, and I can honestly say that this is the best I’ve had…so far! This recipe is courtesy of my friends Chuck and Heather Lane. They pinched it from a newspaper article years ago that claimed it as the recipe of one of the fancier restaurants in Fort Wayne. We were out for dinner one night not long ago, and they started talking about this pie and I (of course!) asked for the recipe. They had made a few “tweaks” to it, and I honestly think it is perfect. My only disappointment with this recipe is the pictures I took of it. I wish I’d waited to cut it until it had chilled completely. It is BEAUTIFUL when it is cut chilled. Perfect layers of happiness.
Anyway. I digress. Here’s the recipe~ I hope you love it as much as I do! (printable version)
- 6 Tablespoons of butter, melted
- 2 cups of finely crushed Vanilla Wafers
- 2 3/4 cups of sweetened condensed milk (divided)
- 3 egg yolks
- 1 cup of key lime juice (divided)
- 1 large (16 oz) tub of Cool Whip (softened in fridge)
- Preheat oven to 350F degrees
- Mix together crushed vanilla wafers and melted butter until well combined. Press into a greased pie pan.
- Beat egg yolks and add 1 3/4 cups of sweetened condensed milk and 1/2 cup of key lime juice.
- Mix well and pour into crust.
- Bake at 350F degrees for 20-25 minutes. Cool completely.
- Beat together Cool Whip, 1 cup sweetened condensed milk, and 1/2 cup of key lime juice until smooth. It should have a nice shiny look.
- Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
- Top cooled pie with whipped topping and chill for several hours before cutting and serving.
My thoughts: With the exception of squeezing a million little key limes, this is such an easy recipe~ and oh so delicious! My only tip: don’t cut into it until it is cold! 🙂 Enjoy! ~r
Other bits of key lime joy (click on photo to see recipe)