This recipe is 100% mom. She has made this pumpkin roll for years- usually at Christmas. I hate (despise, loath) pumpkin in any edible form (I prefer them carved into jack-o-lanterns on the porch…). So this recipe is for all the people who say mom’s pumpkin roll is the MOST amazing dessert ever– I will take your word for it- I didn’t even lick the spoon!
- 2/3 cups pumpkin
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup flour
- 1/2tsp. cinnamon
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 8 oz. brick of Philadelphia cream cheese (softened)
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 2 tsp. margarine
- Grease a jelly roll pan. Put wax paper on bottom and grease the wax paper.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Mix together all of the roll ingredients, adding the flour, cinnamon and soda last. Blend well.
- Pour batter into pan over greased wax paper and spread evenly to all sides. Tap pan on counter to settle batter and get air bubbles to top.
- Bake at 375 degrees for 15 minutes.
- Remove from oven and immediately -with wax paper on- roll pumpkin cake up from short end of pan to short end of pan (you will probably burn your fingers a little- I usually do!) Roll this up in a clean towel to hold it tightly together.
- Refrigerate for 1 hour.
- While roll is chilling, make filling:
- Cream together softened cream cheese and powdered sugar. Add vanilla and margarine and mix until smooth and creamy.
- After one hour, remove roll and unroll it carefully.
- Spread filling over top of opened roll and then re-roll this up *removing the wax paper as you roll*
- Place this back in the refrigerator for about 4-6 hours minimum.
- Sprinkle with powdered sugar or decorate as desired.
- Before serving, slice into beautiful spirals! Enjoy!
My thoughts: Even though I’m not a fan of pumpkin, I AM a fan of desserts that make you say “wow” when you see them– this qualifies– I think its just so pretty and fun (and it is NOT hard to make!!!) Now if I could just make it chocolate instead of pumpkin…hmmm….. 🙂