This recipe is 100% mom. She has made this pumpkin roll for years- usually at Christmas. I hate (despise, loath) pumpkin in any edible form (I prefer them carved into jack-o-lanterns on the porch…). So this recipe is for all the people who say mom’s pumpkin roll is the MOST amazing dessert ever– I will take your word for it- I didn’t even lick the spoon!
- 2/3 cups pumpkin
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup flour
- 1/2tsp. cinnamon
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 8 oz. brick of Philadelphia cream cheese (softened)
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 2 tsp. margarine
- Grease a jelly roll pan. Put wax paper on bottom and grease the wax paper.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Mix together all of the roll ingredients, adding the flour, cinnamon and soda last. Blend well.
- Pour batter into pan over greased wax paper and spread evenly to all sides. Tap pan on counter to settle batter and get air bubbles to top.
- Bake at 375 degrees for 15 minutes.
- Remove from oven and immediately -with wax paper on- roll pumpkin cake up from short end of pan to short end of pan (you will probably burn your fingers a little- I usually do!) Roll this up in a clean towel to hold it tightly together.
- Refrigerate for 1 hour.
- While roll is chilling, make filling:
- Cream together softened cream cheese and powdered sugar. Add vanilla and margarine and mix until smooth and creamy.
- After one hour, remove roll and unroll it carefully.
- Spread filling over top of opened roll and then re-roll this up *removing the wax paper as you roll*
- Place this back in the refrigerator for about 4-6 hours minimum.
- Sprinkle with powdered sugar or decorate as desired.
- Before serving, slice into beautiful spirals! Enjoy!
My thoughts: Even though I’m not a fan of pumpkin, I AM a fan of desserts that make you say “wow” when you see them– this qualifies– I think its just so pretty and fun (and it is NOT hard to make!!!) Now if I could just make it chocolate instead of pumpkin…hmmm….. 🙂
This is a wow dessert, especially when you slice it like that.
This pumpkin roll reminds me of cinnamon rolls.. but this definitely looks interesting and delicious. Wonderful recipe
Just made this today with fresh pumpkin and it’s wonderful! Thanks for the recipe friend.
You could definitely make this chocolate instead of pumpkin! I happen to LOVE pumpkin (I used to hate it, weird!) so I will make good use of this recipe – thank you!
Pingback: Gingerbread Cake Roll with Maple Cream Filling « eASYbAKED
Pingback: Chocolate Covered Strawberry Cake Roll! « eASYbAKED
Pingback: Top 10 Delicious Pumpkin Desserts
Pingback: Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Brownies! | eASYbAKED
Pingback: 25 Delicious Pumpkin Recipes
After I found this recipe, it became my “to go to recipe”. I like the idea of not using towel and powdered sugar when rolling because it is less sweet and the cake is dry looking on the outside instead of looking a lil bit wet on the outside because of the powdered sugar
Also I like the idea of adding nuts after the filling is spread.
Pingback: Mini Pumpkin Cupcakes with Cream Cheese Icing | eASYbAKED
Pingback: Chocolate Cake Roll with a Cinnamon Caramel Filling | eASYbAKED