RSS Feed

Mocha Cheesecake Tart (gluten free!)

A little slice of happiness!!!

This recipe was created by myself and my gluten-free friend Brie.  It was an experiment and we LOVED it (mostly)…Our only mistake was adding too much coffee to our topping– and I am fixing the recipe to correct that!  If you LOVE coffee, add more (I LOVE coffee, so I thought the tart was perfect– but it is 11pm and I am still going strong…so maybe less is better!)

Brie is a photographer…so this post will be filled with her fun photos of the process!

My fun friend Brie!

INGREDIENTS:

Crust:

• 2 1/2 cups of crushed graham cracker crumbs (gluten free!!!!)
  • 1/3 c. margarine
  • 2 T. sugar

Tart filling:

• 1 box of PHILADELPHIA cream cheese- softened
  • 1/2c. sugar
  • 1/4 c. cocoa powder (Nestle)
  • 1 t. vanilla
  • 1 tub (8 oz) Cool Whip- thawed
  • 1/2c. mini chocolate chips (Nestle are gluten free)

Topping:

• 1c. heavy whipping cream
  • 1T. instant coffee granules
  • 1/4 c. powdered sugar (check ingredients- I used Wal-mart brand and no gluten!)

DIRECTIONS:

• Preheat oven to 350 degrees
  • Mix crushed grahams with sugar and melted butter.
  • Press into an 8 inch tart pan.
  • Place on a cookie sheet and bake at 350 degrees for 12-14 minutes- until edges are firm and crispy.
  • Remove from oven and cool completely.  Remove out tart ring.
  • Mix coffee granules in whipping cream and allow to sit for about 10 minutes. (If you don’t like coffee, just skip this step and make topping by whipping cream and powdered sugar without the coffee granules!)

Whipping cream plus coffee!

• In a large bowl, cream together cream cheese, sugar, cocoa and vanilla until smooth.

Adding vanilla to the rich chocolatey goodness!

• Fold in Cool Whip and blend until smooth.
  • Mix in mini-chocolate chips (saving a few for the top).
  • Spread in cooled tart crust.

Spread the filling into the crust…

yum!

• In medium bowl, mix whipping cream/coffee blend with powdered sugar and whip on high until stiff peaks form.
  • Spread over top of tart and sprinkle with a few mini- chocolate chips.
  • Serve immediately if you want– or keep refrigerated until use.
  • Take pictures!!!! 🙂

Give me all your chocolate chips and nobody gets hurt…..!

My thoughts– YUM!!!!  Rich and creamy and I LOVED the gluten free crust (I would use it again for the flavor and consistency- and I’m not on a gluten free diet).  I really would use just whipped cream next time and skip the coffee altogether though- I think the two layers clashed in color- lol!  Really though– suprise your friends who have to be gluten free with this pie– they will love you for it!!!

Advertisements

About Ruthanne

Ruthanne is a scientist with a passion for baking and food photography. Using her kitchen as a lab, she loves experimenting with a variety of flavors and ingredients to create unique, fun and ultimately tasty delights! Thus she created EasyBaked, a website where sugar and chocolate overflow in fun and easy recipes. Her Motto: Money can’t buy happiness -- but it can buy marshmallows, and that’s nearly the same thing! www.easybaked.net

15 responses »

1. I do so adore coffee and have some very lovely gluten-free friends who I think would be very happy if I made this. Lovely pics too. As always.

2. Too much coffee sounds kind of fun! Seriously, great dish.

3. I adore all of the photos on your site. Could you tell me what lens Brie was using and what camera/lens you use for your photos?

• Thanks so much! I use a Nikon CoolPix 8800 that I’m borrowing (!) Photography is totally new to me and I’m still trying to get a feel for the basics before I invest in a “forever” camera– It is an older camera and doesn’t have lenses you can change out. I will ask Brie what she uses though– I might actually buy her old camera from her…??

4. Do you happen to remember what brand of graham crackers you used? The only ones I can ever find are the “smore’ables” by kinnicknick? Thanks!

• Hi Kate– those are exactly the crackers I used- and I LOVED them. I would use them again in a heartbeat. I included a link in the recipe if you (or anyone else reading this) want to order them online. Enjoy!

5. I just looking looking at the photos!! lol Kidding, but they are very good! The cheesecake is delicious and gluten free makes it all the better for my son that is intolerant. He will absolutely love this since he loves both cheesecake and chocolate! Thanks for sharing your great photos and recipe! 🙂

6. I am surprised that you have instant coffee since they are finding that instant coffee is not gluten free. I do understand that coffee does enhance the coffee flavor. How could I incorporate brewed coffee instead??

• Hi Kathy! I know that some instant coffee, particularly the flavored kind, has gluten. If you check the label for 100% coffee (no additives or fillers) you should be fine, according to my die-hard gluten free friends! You could certainly experiment with brewed coffee. I would brew it thick and then boil it down to a syrup consistency though, or all that water will make your topping runny. Best of luck!

7. Could you use real whipped cream instead of cool whip?? And where can I find gluten free graham crackers?

• Hi Barbara! You could try, but I think that the Cool Whip adds a firmness to the filling that real whipped cream might not have. You could try something like Dream Whip maybe? I get my gluten free grahams in my grocery store. I’m addicted to them, even though I’m not on a gluten-free diet, and I’ve been able to find them almost everywhere. If you simply can’t find them, you can click on the link that says “gluten free” in the ingredient list and it will take you to Amazon where you can order online. Hope this helps!!