This pecan tart with a hint of cocoa was inspired by my recent vacation to South Carolina.
I just got back from a trip to my cousin’s wedding in Raleigh and a family vacation in Myrtle Beach. Besides the pralines (MUST learn to make these), I was tempted by all the varieties of pecan pies in each restaurant we visited (bourbon, chocolate chip, caramel, cheesecake….)
I’m visiting dear friends tomorrow afternoon and since I’ve been obsessing over pecan pies I thought I’d better give in and make one tonight to share with them. I really think you’ll love this recipe. The tart pan makes it beautiful and the cocoa makes it so rich and flavorful. Plus it is really easy. Enjoy!
- Refrigerated pie crust (or your own favorite recipe!)
- 4 T. butter
- 2 T. cocoa powder
- 1 c. corn syrup
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 c. dark brown sugar
- 2 T. vanilla
- 2 c. pecans (one cup chopped, one cup halves)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Lightly grease a 9 inch tart pan with removable bottom. Line the pan with your crust, pressing it into the bottom and sides of pan and pricking the bottom a few times with a fork.
- Melt butter on the stove in a saucepan.
- Turn heat off and add the cocoa and corn syrup.
- Lightly beat the eggs with the sugar and vanilla.
- Stir egg mixture and one cup of chopped nuts into syrup.
- Pour into crust and arrange the remaining pecans over the top.
- Bake on a cookie sheet for 35-40 minutes (until the filling is just set).
- Serve warm (with ice cream, I think!) or at room temperature.
My thoughts: This is a quick dessert and it is SO yummy! I’m laughing a little about how I have to cut a piece out of everything I make (for photography purposes, of course…) and how nothing I bring to share at a dinner ever looks pretty anymore. My friends look at my chopped up dessert, roll their eyes and say– oh yeah….BLOG photos… I hope you enjoy making this recipe. I’ll leave you tonight with a couple of beach photos. Enjoy!
I love your comment about blog photos, my husband always asks me before he starts eating if I need to take a picture of it! This pie looks so delicious and easy to make!
Well, I’m glad I’m not alone in that! 🙂
That looks beautiful! Pecans make everything better 😉 Although I’d also say the same for chocolate…
My boyfriend saw it over my shoulder, bookmarked it, and said, “if I jog all week, can I have this?” lollllll Yes, he will get this. I’ll tell you how it goes if I have time to do both:]
lol….jog all week? There’s some commitment to pie! Hope you both enjoy it!
Thanks for the receipe. It’s look delicious
Wow, this looks really great — I especially like that close-up shot of all those meticulously placed pecans! I used to turn up my nose at pecan pie until a few years ago when I was working with a guy (long hours over Christmas) who could just not shut up about CHOCOLATE pecan pie. Anyways, long story made short: he gave me a recipe, I gave in and made it, then immediately got over not liking pecan pie! Ha! 😀
This post definitely inspired some nostalgia, so thanks. 🙂
lol–its the chocolate! Chocolate makes everything better! Have you tried a caramel pecan pie yet? SO yummy….I have a recipe I love– I’ll try to share it soon 🙂
you are so welcome– I hope you enjoy it!
I love this combo! Great recipe.
Hehe – my friends also suffer from desserts that have undergone ‘blog photos’. I love the addition of cocoa, yum!