Refreshing lime cupcakes topped with lemon butter cream- SO easy and fun!!
I just can’t say goodbye to those summer flavors and colors….I know I should be sharing my apple and pumpkin recipes with you, but these just make me so happy!! The tart and the sweet….lime green and yellow….if you are missing summer already these are the perfect remedy this weekend!
- One boxed white cake mix
- Oil, eggs and water to make mix according to box
- 1 small box(3 oz) of lime jello
- 2 sticks of salted butter
- 2 sticks of unsalted butter
- 3 c. powdered sugar
- 3 t. lemon extract
- 1 t. vanilla extract
- Yellow food coloring (to desired shade)
- Make cake according to directions on box, but add lime jello before mixing.
- Pour into 24 lined cupcake tins and bake according to package.
- Cool cupcakes completely.
- Make frosting by combining butters (softened), powdered sugar, lemon and vanilla extracts and coloring in a large bowl and beating on high until light and fluffy.
- Pipe frosting onto cupcakes (watch this video for techniques)
- Decorate as desired. I topped with heart sprinkles and sour fruit heart candies, but I thought it might be fun to top with course salt and a cute straw and call them Margarita cupcakes! Be creative!
My thoughts: These are so easy. Because they use Jell-O, the flavor possibilities are incredible. Raspberry and Lemon? Peach? If you want a really easy twist on a plain cupcake these are your recipe! Enjoy!!! ~r