Everyone loves a good bar dessert. These are absolutely stuffed full of yummy goodness. Caramel and three kinds of chocolate mixed with chocolate cake….these will certainly satisfy your sweet tooth!!!!
- 1 box of chocolate cake mix
- 1/3c. oil
- 2 eggs
- 1c. each of white chips, semi-sweet chips, milk chocolate chips and dark chocolate chips
- 1/2 c. margarine or butter
- 32 unwrapped Kraft caramels
- 1 (14oz.) can of sweetened condensed milk
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 9x13pan.
- Combine cake mix, oil and eggs. Blend well and stir in all of the chips (mixture will be very thick).
- Press half of the mixture into bottom of pan (it will press into a very thin layer). Bake for 10 minutes and then remove from oven.
- While this is baking, in a medium saucepan, combine butter, caramels and condensed milk.
- Cook over low/medium heat until melted and smooth (stir constantly!)
- Spread caramel over partially baked cake mixture.
- Top with remaining cake/chip mixture (it will not completely cover, but you can press the mixture flat with your fingers and lay it in small sections over the caramel.)
- Bake an additional 25 to 30 minutes. Remove from oven and cool 20 minutes.
- Run knife around edges. Cool completely before cutting. Makes about 20 bars.
My thoughts: I make this recipe with a variety of cake mix flavors every time I start accumulating odds and ends of chips in my pantry. When you bake a lot, you end up with lots of almost-empty bags of baking chips in all sort of flavors. I just use them all up in this recipe! I’ve made this with yellow, chocolate and caramel cake mix. I’ve used dark, milk, white, swirled, peanut butter, cinnamon and butterscotch chips. Each time I make it there’s a whole new flavor and look. I *love* recipes like that! It’s like having so many recipes all in one. I hope you have fun – both following this recipe AND experimenting with it! Enjoy!! ~r
We love chocolate and caramel here at Easybaked!! Check out some of our other recipes that use this favorite combination. Just click on an image to be taken to the recipe.
*****SPECIAL NOTE****** Ruthanne will be wandering the Amazon Jungle when this recipe posts. If you don’t get replies to your comments or questions it is because I have no internet….I’ll be back soon though!!!!