These brightly colored Easter cookies have a hint of lemon and a creamy sweet filling. This cut-out recipe is REALLY easy to roll out and I used Linzer cookie cutters to make them into fun sandwich cookies.
- 1 c. margarine
- 1 c. sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 t. vanilla
- 1 t. lemon juice
- 2 T. whipping cream
- 3 c. flour
- 1/2 t. salt
- 1/2 t. baking powder
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Cream together margarine and sugar.
- Add egg, vanilla and whipping cream and mix.
- Add lemon juice and mix until completely combined.
- Add dry ingredients and mix well.
- To color the dough: I divided the dough into 3 smaller bowls and colored it using Wilton Icing Colors. I love this food coloring…it says its for icing but I use it in everything– it makes things SO bright and doesn’t change the consistency of what you add it to.
- Use a little additional flour to make your dough a good rolling consistency. Using a flour-coated rolling pin, roll the dough out on a flour-coated surface.
- Cut your cookies using any cookie cutters you like. I used Springtime Shapes Linzer Cookie Cutters and I just LOVE the way they turned out. Just cut solid cookies for the backs and for the tops use the tiny shapes to cut bunnies and chicks and flowers from the center of each cookie. It IS a little fussy, but worth it in the end!
- However you choose to cut them, place the cookies on parchment paper- covered cookies sheets and bake at 350 degrees for 10-12 minutes (check for a slightly browned edge).
- Cool and frost.
- 3 c. powdered sugar
- 1/2 c. Crisco
- 1/4 c. milk
- Wilton Icing Colors
- Cream together the powdered sugar and Crisco.
- Add the milk and blend until a smooth spreadable consistency. Divide frosting and color in as many colors as you want.
- Frost and enjoy!
My thoughts: I love these Linzer cookie cutters. I got them last fall when I made cookies for both Halloween and Christmas and I’ve been waiting for spring to arrive so I could try this set out– they are just so much fun.
I really think you will like this dough– it rolls out beautifully even with no refrigeration ahead. If you want an easier cookie, just use traditional cookie cutters and have fun with all the bright colors! Enjoy! r-