These soft and chewy chocolate cut-out cookies make the perfect little footballs! Are you ready for the season to start? Kick it off with these adorable treats!
NFL football starts this week with a Thursday night game against the Packers (GO PACK GO!!!!!!) and Seattle. Let the season of fun tailgating and snacking begin!!!
These are seriously the yummiest chocolate cookies ever, and the PERFECT, not-sticky, dough for cookie cutters. I’ve used this recipe SO many times here on easybaked. When I thought about making football cookies I automatically defaulted to this wonderful family recipe. I promise, you will love it!!!
Here’s how they are made: (printable recipe)
- 2 sticks (1 cup) butter, softened
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 3 cups flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- Preheat oven to 350F degrees.
- Add butter, sugar, eggs, vanilla and cocoa together in large mixing bowl.
- Blend on medium speed with a mixer until smooth.
- Gradually add dry ingredients and mix until smooth (use clean hands at the end, to knead into a soft ball of dough)
- Roll out cookie dough on floured counter. I roll mine thick, so I get nice and chewy cookies.
- Cut into football shapes using a football cookie cutter and place on a parchment-lined baking sheet. Leave a little room for the cookies to spread.
- Bake for 10 to 14 minutes until the edges are firm.
- Gently slide parchment paper off of cookie sheet and onto a flat surface. Cool completely before moving- this allows the cookie to “set”.
- Frost as desired. I used royal icing in a zip-top bag with a corner clipped off to decorate these. You can click here for my royal icing recipe and instructions for use. You could also use regular icing or even melted white chocolate.
- Allow icing to harden up before stacking.
My thoughts: These are so cute, and so yummy that I kept wandering by the table just took look at them while they hardened up. I couldn’t help but smile every time….and eat one. Which was bad, because I’ve eaten too much fry bread here on the Navajo Nation and I need to diet! They are irresistibly good…so I quickly have given them all away! Happy football season everyone!!! Bring on the fun!!!!! ~r