Finally- I took the time to try making this wonderful layered dessert from the Czech Republic. I had the most amazing piece of this dessert with my friend Angie on a terrace overlooking the city of Prague and decided then and there that I had to try making it. There are many recipes online for this cake and I think I read through them all- trying to pick one that I thought might duplicate the wonderful dessert I tried in Prague. The one I chose was from en.ptitchef.com and since I made quite a few changes to it, this recipe is mostly original.
For cake layers:
- 1cup of butter or margarine
- 3 eggs
- 1 1/2c. sugar
- 3 T. (dark!) honey
- 1 T. baking soda
- 3 c. flour
- 1 can sweetened condensed milk
- 1c. finely chopped walnuts (I used pecans- I like them better!)
- 2T. flour
- 1/2c. milk
- 1/4c. Crisco
- 1/4 c. butter or margarine
- 3/4c. sugar
- 1/2t. vanilla
- pinch of salt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Melt butter completely in microwave or over stove.
- Whisk in eggs
- Gradually add sugar, honey, baking soda and flour, mix until smooth.
- Place sheets of parchment paper on baking sheets and trace circle around a cake pan (I used 8 inch and fit two per baking sheet)
- Spoon batter into each circle and spread out thin until circle is filled- like a giant pancake- PAST the lines you traced.
- Bake for 7-10 minutes until golden brown. Watch it closely as it goes from uncooked to golden very quickly.
- Slide layers off sheet by pulling parchment paper onto a cool counter and allow layers to cool.
- Repeat this until you have 6 layers.
- Using a cake pan, cut each layer into a circle and pull away excess cake from edges (save this in a separate bowl). Gently peel away parchment paper from bottom of each layer as you assemble the cake.
- Put excess cake edges into a food processor and chop into fine crumbs.
- Combine sweetened condensed milk with finely chopped nuts (this is your 1st filling)
- Cook 2T. flour and 1/2 c. milk together over stovetop until thick and smooth. Cool completely. Add Crisco, butter, sugar, vanilla and salt and whip this together until light and fluffy. (this is your second filling)
- Place one layer of cake on a serving plate.
- Top with cream filling and spread to edges.
- Place another layer of cake on top of cream filling.
- Top with sweetened condensed milk/nut layer and spread to edges.
- Repeat this until all cake layers are used. You should use all of cream filling and about 1/2 of condensed milk filling.
- Spread remaining condensed milk/nut filling over top and sides of cake.
- Press chopped cake crumbs into top and sides of cake.
- Refrigerate and serve!