I was determined to get mini peanut butter cups into the center of these cupcakes. I did some of them plain, and tossed some in flour 1st and all of them sank to the bottom. Sad me. I think the only alternative is to either eat them on the bottom (still yummy!!) or invest in one of those fun little pans that hold candy in the middle. Have you seen them? Click here if you want to check them out. Now that I’m in the middle of the Navajo Nation, I seriously doubt I will be coming across one- lol! Maybe I will order one once I have an address to send it to!!
These happy little cupcakes use melted frosting on the tops—I’m addicted to melting frosting now!!! Make me stop!!!
Here’s the recipe (printable version)
- One boxed yellow cake mix (plus water, oil and eggs to make according to directions)
- 24 Mini Reese peanut butter cups
- 1 tub of chocolate frosting
- 3 sticks (1 1/2 cups) butter (softened to room temperature)
- 1 cup of creamy peanut butter
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 1 Tablespoon vanilla
- 24 mini Nutter Butter cookies for decoration
- Preheat oven to 350F degrees.
- Make cake mix according to box directions and divide equally into 24 cupcake liners placed in tins.
- Place a mini peanut butter cup on the top of each cup full of batter
- Bake according to box directions, remove from oven and cool completely.
- Spoon tub of chocolate frosting into a microwave-safe bowl and microwave for about 30 seconds. Stir until well mixed.
- Dip the top of each cupcake in the chocolate frosting and allow them to cool, and to harden a little.
- Place remaining melted frosting in a small zip top bag and zip it closed.
- To make peanut butter frosting, place butter, vanilla, and peanut butter into a large bowl and mix on high until smooth (about a minute)
- Add powdered sugar and beat on low until combined and then on high until light and fluffy.
- Place frosting in a zip-top bag fitted with a decorating tip and pipe on top of each cooled cupcake.
- Clip a corner off of the bag filled with the melted chocolate frosting and drizzle over the top of each cupcake.
- Top with a mini Nutter Butter cookie.
My thoughts: YUM! These are perfect if you love peanut butter. I love the fudgy layer of melted frosting on the top– when I shared these with friends they all loved that part. You could dip cupcakes into all sorts of melted frostings– so many flavor possibilities!!!! FUN!!!! I hope you really enjoy these!!! ~r
6-13-14: Did you know, that this yummy recipe is available on adorable blank note cards? With a picture of the cupcakes on the front, the recipe on the back, and plenty of room inside for a message, these make the PERFECT gift. Why send just a card, when you can send the gift of a recipe instead?? Click here for more information and to order.
I usually give you other similar fun recipe to try on easybaked at this point, but my internet is so slow that I’m skipping it this week!! 🙂 The photo gallery is always a fun spot to shop for recipe ideas… since your internet is likely faster than mine this week, I will let you hunt for treasures on your own!!! Have a good one!!!!! ~r