Hedgehogs are the MOST adorable things, and these yummy maple cupcakes capture all the cuteness in edible form!
Seems like hedgehogs are all the rage these days. I’ve seen slippers and t-shirts and recently found the MOST adorable hedgehog salt and pepper shakers at Target.
I love them. I think they fall into the category: “so ugly they are cute”, in the animal kingdom…along with the walrus and basset hound…
In any case, I decided that the cupcake world needed a cute (and EASY) version of these, and here they are!
Now, the dilemma of every blogger of desserts is this: who do I give these to, so that I don’t eat them all and gain 500 pounds?
I had an obvious answer for these little hedgehogs: Warner Press!
You see, about a year ago at this time I was getting ready for the publication of my first cookbook, and I was partnered with an absolutely WONDERFUL publisher~ Warner Press. Through the process, many of the people I worked with became dear friends. One of those friends HATES hedgehogs. In fact, it is a long-standing office joke that Regina despises the cute little rodents. Obviously, she needed Hedgehog cupcakes~ so I went for a visit!
We had a fun day of cupcakes and catching up- and I promised them I would tell you all about the (adorable!) boxed set of Hedgehog cards that Regina reluctantly approved for publication. She was so convinced that they would be an epic fail, that she agreed to a wager: If the hedgehog cards make it into the top 10 selling items at Warner Press she would take them all out for dinner…and they are close…!
I love them, and thought I’d give you all a chance to purchase some (and maybe put them into the top ten best selling items?!?!) They would be a cute gift for Mother’s Day! Click here to see the rest of the fun hedgie pictures and to order.
The cupcakes are as easy as can be! Here’s how we put them together: (printable recipe)
- 1 boxed cake mix (plus water oil and eggs to make according to package)
- 1 tub of pre-made vanilla frosting
- 2 teaspoons of maple flavoring
- 1 cup of chocolate jimmies
- 1/2 cup of Wilton’s Candy Melts in dark chocolate (or you can use mini chocolate chips)
- 1/4 cup of Wilton’s Candy melts in pink.
- Make cake mix according to package and bake as cupcakes for recommended time and temp. Cool completely.
- Place frosting into a small bowl and heat for just 15-20 seconds in the microwave until soft. Add maple flavoring and stir until combined.
- Dip tops of cooled cupcakes into frosting and pull into a slight “point” on one end of the cupcake for a little nose (see photo)
- Immediately (over a plate) pour and pat jimmies into place, opposite the “point”, leaving a small circular section empty for face. Finish all cupcakes this way ( if you use mini chips for eyes you should place them now, before the frosting hardens)
- Melt candy melts in the microwave in a small bowl in 30 second increments, stirring in between until smooth.
- Place each color in a small zip-top bag and seal.
- Clip a small corner off and squeeze out drops of chocolate for the eyes and pink candy melts for the nose- right on the end of the “point” left by the frosting.
- Allow cupcakes to harden up.
My thoughts: Cute and easy! Plus that maple frosting is YUM-MY! You certainly could use your own favorite cupcake recipe for these too- I just used a cake mix for simplicity. Such a fun recipe for kids too! Gotta love those hedgehogs– right, Regina?!? Enjoy!! ~r
Other unique cupcakes from Easybaked: (click a photo to see the recipe)
so so adorable! must try 😍
Oh Ruthanne! Adorable as usual. I LOVE your posts! 🙂
Aww these hedgehog cupcakes are too adorable to be eaten!
I love them! Soooo cute! And thanks for mentioning the hedgehog cards–I am still hoping for my free dinner! ha!
Thanks Robin! I’m hoping for you guys too!!!! 🙂
Suddenly I’m in the mood for something sweet…………
Pingback: Hedgehog Cupcakes Are Literally Too Cute To Eat - WELCOME TO DR ADAS BLOG