These sweet maple pancake flavored cupcakes are topped with syrup-coated bacon and real mini-pancakes. The only question remaining is, will you eat them for breakfast???
My answer to that question is a resounding YES, I will eat them for breakfast, and any other time of the day too!
Did you know that today is National Pancake Lovers Day??? There is no better way I know of to celebrate pancakes than by making these! [Plus, Monday is National Coffee Day, and believe me these go GREAT with coffee!]
These cupcakes were a complete experiment, and when they came out of the oven and I tentatively tasted one, I smiled. They taste like pancakes- they really do! Here’s how we made them: (printable recipe)
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup sugar
- ½ cup butter, melted
- 1/4 cup whipping cream
- 2 eggs
- 3 teaspoons vanilla
- 1/2 cup maple syrup (I didn’t use the real stuff– too expensive!)
Frosting and toppings:
- 2 sticks (1 cup) of salted butter, softened
- 2 sticks (1 cup) of unsalted butter, softened
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 2 teaspoons of vanilla
- 8 pieces of bacon, cooked until very crisp
- 1/4 cup of maple syrup
- Pancake batter- enough for about 50 mini pancakes (I used the add water and shake Bisquick bottle, and it took about 2 cups of batter to make these up.
- Combine all dry ingredients and mix in medium bowl
- In large bowl, whisk eggs, whipping cream and vanilla together, add melted butter slowly while whisking.
- Alternately add dry ingredients and syrup to the egg mixture, whisking until thick and smooth.
- Scoop evenly into 18-20 cupcake liners placed in muffin tins. Don’t overfill!
- Bake at 350F degrees for 14-18 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Remove cupcakes from tin and allow them to cool completely.
Frosting and toppings:
- Crumble bacon into small pieces and toss with maple syrup until completely coated.
- Make mini pancakes on a hot griddle by using a small spoon and making just a tiny circle of batter. Let these cool on a piece of parchment paper.
- Make frosting by placing butters, powdered sugar and vanilla in a mixing bowl and beating on high for 3-4 minutes until very light and fluffy.
- Place frosting into a large zip top bag that has a decorating tip fitted into one corner.
- Pipe a circle of icing around the edge of the cupcake.
- Sprinkle with bacon.
- Place pancakes on top, using a small amount of frosting to stick them together into a stack.
- Add a dollop of frosting on top and add sprinkles or a red “cherry” sixlet, like mine.
My thoughts: These are really good. The sweet cupcake with that salty bacon….yum! I was a little skeptical about the bacon, but it really adds a wonderful flavor to these! If you are short on time, skip the mini pancakes on top and just frost these and sprinkle them with bacon. You could even use a bottle of those real bacon bits, but I suspect that the freshly cooked bacon tastes best. Happy Pancake Day to YOU!!! Enjoy!! ~r
Other treats that you “could” eat for breakfast:
Ruthanne – these are DARLING! I admire the time and detail you put into your beautiful creations!
Thank you so much!!! 🙂
Super cute!! I love taking the time to make things like this.
Me too!!! Cute is always worth a little extra time:0)
Absolutely adorable! I bet they taste about as good as they look!
Thank you! I really loved the flavor of these…depends on if you love pancakes as much as I do!!
I worship pancakes, so yeah….these are pretty awesome. 😉
Thank you!!!! I hope you get a chance to taste these- I was really excited about how much they taste like pancakes:0)
I love so much about this – that there is such a thing as national pancake lovers day, that you made a cupcake that tastes like pancakes…. and I’ll slowly get on board with adding bacon to things like this. I’m only just realising the joy of salt and sweet together!
Pingback: These Cupcakes Have A Pancakes And Bacon Breakfast In Every Bite
They’re adorable! And I love that it has both a sweet and savory element to it!
Pingback: DIY: Pancake & Bacon Breakfast Cupcakes
Pingback: 10 Fun Dessert Recipes for Father’s Day! | eASYbAKED
Pingback: Τα πιο πρωτότυπα cupcakes. – Pop Culture Book