Turn your cookies into Cookie Monsters with these adorable Oreo treats!
So, Valentine’s Day happened last month, and I have started a tradition of making my Oreo Prince Charming Frogs as little Valentines for friends and family. As I was popping little red M&Ms into like 100 little frog “mouths”, it suddenly occurred to me that they looked a little like Cookie Monster. I brainstormed for a cute little cookie, got myself some blue candy melts, and had so much fun making these little guys this week!!!!!
Ah….so cute and fun! I gave them as gifts to as many kids as I could… and the smiles…. 🙂 You need to try these…!!!!!!
Here’s how we put them together (I took pictures as I went!)
INGREDIENTS: (makes 24-28 cookies)
- One package of Double Stuff Oreos (you need that wide opening to fit a mini-cookie!)
- One bag of Wilton’s Candy Melts in royal blue
- Candy eyes
- Royal Blue decorating sugar (I had such a time finding this- I wanted blue jimmies, but settled on these sugar crystals from CK Products.)
- A box of Cookie Crisp cereal.
- Several drinking straws.
- Place Candy eyes, and about 24-28 pieces of cookie cereal into two small bowls.
- Place parchment paper over flat working surface.
- Melt Candy Melts in microwave in 30 second increments, stirring between until melted and smooth.
- Dip Oreo in melts and use a fork to lift out. Tap firmly against side of bowl to remove excess candy and slide along bowl edge as you remove it.
- Gently slide covered Oreo onto parchment paper. Immediately sprinkle with sugar, and place eyes (a tweezer helps with this).
- Place a piece of cookie cereal in “mouth”. You may need to wait a little bit until the melts harden up a bit and get sticky. I found that a drinking straw placed in front of each one helped hold the cookie in place until it hardened.
- Allow little monsters to harden and then share them with anyone who needs a smile 🙂
My thoughts: SO. FUN. I really loved making these and sharing them. I packaged them up in little cello bags that I got at Michaels, and I made stickers for the back using Avery square labels (#22806). I will attach the pdf for these here. Be sure when you print them on these labels to print them as “actual size”. Sometimes printers will automatically shrink an image to fit a page better, and if you let it do that they won’t line up with the stickers. I also tied up a few bags of just cookie cereal to go along with them. It was really fun.
The perfect finishing touch! Enjoy these dear readers!!!!!! ~r
Other desserts for the Cookie Monster in you! (Click on a photo to see the recipe)