These rich red velvet cookies are covered in a smooth cream cheese icing. Add a glass of milk and you have the perfect dessert!
I like to experiment in the kitchen. Usually it takes a few tries before I get something exactly the way I like it (ok, sometimes more than a few tries!) These cookies were perfect the 1st time. They are just beautiful cake-like cookies right out of the oven, and they are sooo easy to make. They honestly could stand alone if you aren’t an icing fan. The cream cheese icing is incredibly yummy though….so if you are like me and want icing on everything you eat, be sure to try this one!
Here’s how to make these yummy cookies: (printable recipe)
INGREDIENTS: (makes 24 medium cookies)
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 stick (1/2 cup) of butter (softened)
- 1 egg (beaten)
- 1/2 cup evaporated milk
- Red food coloring (to desired shade)
- 2 cups flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 squares (1 oz. each) of unsweetened baking chocolate (melted)
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla
- 4 oz (1/2 package) cream cheese (softened)
- 1/4 cup of butter (softened)
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- dash of salt
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1/2 cup white chocolate chips (melted)
- Preheat oven to 375F degrees.
- Cream together butter and brown sugar.
- Add egg and blend well.
- Put evaporated milk into a small bowl and stir in food color until a deep shade of red.
- Add dry ingredients, alternating with the red evaporated milk. (I used a mixer at this point to fully incorporate the red)
- After batter is well combined, add the vanilla and melted chocolate and blend on low speed until completely combined.
- Cover cookie sheets with parchment paper and use a medium cookie scoop to spoon dough on sheets.
- Bake at 375F degrees for 10 minutes.
- Slide cookies off sheet with parchment paper and allow them to cool on paper completely.
- On medium speed, beat together cream cheese, butter, vanilla, and salt until creamy.
- Gradually add powdered sugar, beating until smooth.
- Melt white chocolate chips in the microwave in 30 second increments, stirring between, until smooth.
- Add melted white chocolate to icing and beat on low until completely combined.
- Place in a zip-top bag fitted with a decorating tip and pipe frosting on top of cooled cookies.
My thoughts: These are easy and really so moist and flavorful. Perfect with a cold glass of milk or a cup of coffee! Hope you enjoy them! ~r
Other fun cookie ideas: