Creepy colors all swirled together inside make this bundt cake a holiday hit! Drizzle it with gooey frosting and fun colors for a perfect (EASY!) party dessert!
Confession: I needed a fast dessert a few nights ago, saw this online and decided to use a recipe rather than create a new idea. Its a FABULOUS and EASY idea, so I just couldn’t help but share it! Kudos to Lets get Cookin’ for this idea- wonderfully creative! Here’s how I made my own:
- One box of white cake mix (and oil, water and eggs to make according to box)
- One box of chocolate cake mix (and oil, water and eggs to make according to box)
- Orange, Black and Purple gel icing colors (these gel colors give the batter the vibrant colors you see without having to add much–I invested in the Wilton set of 12 colors months ago and I LOVE them. Click here to see them on Amazon. You can order them there or sometimes find them at craft or cake decorating stores).
- One tub of chocolate pre-made frosting
- Wiltons Candy Melts in purple (and orange too if you want!)
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- Make both cake mixes according to packages.
- Divide the white cake batter into two bowls, equally.
- Add black coloring to the chocolate cake to darken it.
- Add purple to 1/2 of the white batter and orange to the other half.
- Pour about 1/3 of the chocolate batter into the bottom of a well-greased bundt pan.
- Pour all of the purple batter over the chocolate
- Pour all of the orange batter over the purple
- Pour another 1/3 of the chocolate batter over the colors. You can use more than 1/3, but you want to give the cake room to rise- so leave a bit of room. You can discard the remaining chocolate batter or make a couple of cupcakes with it.
- Bake at 325 degrees for about 45-55 minutes (until the center is set and a cake tester inserted comes out clean).
- Tip over on a cake rack and cool completely
- To finish, melt the tub of frosting in the microwave (about 15-30 seconds) and stir well.
- Place frosting in a zip-top bag, clip a corner and drizzle over entire top of cake.
- Melt candy melts in the microwave in 30 second increments, stirring between until smooth and pipe these colors over the top as well. I think both purple and orange would be fun, but I only had purple in my cabinet!
My thoughts- quick and easy and yummy moist cake that makes people smile and ask– “how’d you do that”? Very fun!! I have to add that the recipe over at Lets Get Cookin’ used vanilla frosting colored with the gels and drizzled over the top. I decided to use chocolate because its what I had It was really yummy with the chocolate– I think you would get a better color match doing it with the vanilla frosting though- my candy melts color clashed a little with the inside purple color. Also, I put a cookie sheet on the rack below the cake while it baked– just in case it dripped over. It didn’t, but you might want to do that just to save yourself an oven-cleaning day! Hope you get to try this cake– I think you are gonna love it!!! ENJOY! ~r