Months ago I received a baking challenge from an 8 year old boy named Zao. His mom Erika works with me and he asked her, “Do you think Ruthanne could make cookies with red licorice in them?” Well, of course we can!
Now, as a little warning to you: the bits of licorice are yummy, but they are very chewy and you end up eating licorice after the cookie is all gone in your mouth. Remember bubble gum ice cream? It’s a little like that sort of dilemma. The taste combination is wonderful though and if you can get past the consistency you will love these!
For those of you not-so-brave folks out there….the cookies are soooooo yummy without the licorice too! I made two batches– one with and one without the licorice. I loved both varieties (and it gave me an excuse to eat TWO cookies instead of one!)
Here’s how to make them: (printer- friendly recipe)
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 cup butter, at room temperature
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 packet (0.23oz.) Kool Aid Lemonade
- Yellow food coloring gel
- 2 3/4 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup of chopped Twizzler Strawberry Licorice. (I just chopped them into chocolate chip-size bits using a sharp knife)
- Preheat oven to 350F degrees
- Using a mixer, beat together butter and sugar until smooth and creamy.
- Add egg and vanilla extract and mix until combined.
- Add Lemonade powder and coloring gel (if needed) to create a nice yellow color. Mix well.
- Blend in the dry ingredients, using clean hands to knead the dough together at the end.
- Add chopped strawberry licorice bits at the very end and blend well (this step can be skipped if you aren’t feeling wild and crazy– you’ll just have yummy lemonade cookies!)
- Roll rounded tablespoons of dough into balls and place on baking sheets that have been covered in parchment paper.
- Bake for 8 to 10 minutes or until cookies are set.
- Slide parchment paper (with the cookies still on top) onto a cool counter and allow cookies to cool right on paper.
My thoughts: With or without the strawberry bits, these are great cookies. I think they balance perfectly between sweet and tart. I was surprised at how many people loved the idea of putting licorice bits into cookies. I think they would be great with a strawberry or raspberry icing on top. Yum….! Enjoy!
You might also enjoy: