Turn these cupcakes upside down and find a cute “winter” Oreo on the top! Add a little bit of frosting in the middle and you have a delicious and beautiful winter dessert!
I saw this cute idea on the Oreo site and decided to “winterize” the idea. You’ll have to find the Winter Oreos- they have red filling and the most adorable designs on them, or you can use plain Oreos too- either way they are delicious!
These aren’t difficult to make, but you will definitely need to keep them in a sealed container until serving them. I put all of mine away, but 2 didn’t fit and since that cupcake liner is pulled off, they got all hard and stale. In a container they kept fine for a couple of days! On a side note: I used the Duncan Hines Blue Velvet mix and it was delicious! You could use Red Velvet or a White cake mix with food coloring too. Here’s how we made them: (printable recipe)
- One box of Duncan Hines Blue Velvet cake mix (plus water, butter and eggs required by mix)
- One package of “winter” Oreos
- One tub of white frosting
- Sprinkles as desired
- Make cake mix as directed on box.
- Place one Oreo each into 24 cupcake liners placed into muffin tins- making sure that cute winter design is facing down!
- Spoon cake batter evenly into liners, making sure it get down around the sides of the Oreo
- Bake cupcakes as directed by box and allow them to cool completely.
- Remove cupcake liners, use a small knife to slice each one in half and spread some frosting between the 2 layers.
- When cupcake is reassembled, sprinkle with fun sparkly sugars.
- Store in an airtight container. I ADORE my cupcake carrier – it’s one of my favorite kitchen belongings and you should totally ask for one for Christmas!!!
Aren’t those fun winter colors? I love reds and blues for Christmas!
My thoughts: These are really easy and fun- I think with the lighter cake mix color you get a little more discoloration or “browning” around the Oreo cookie itself, that was my only disappointment. I think if you used a darker cake batter you wouldn’t notice it so much. The flavor was wonderful though. Thanks for the fun idea Oreo!!!! Enjoy!
Other Christmas recipe ideas~ click on a photo to be taken to the recipe:
Need a fun and unique gift idea? Easybaked has adorable boxed sets of notecards. They have an Easybaked dessert photo on the front and a recipe on the back! The come in a cute box and the best part? They are ON SALE for Christmas, include free shipping and the site that is hosting them offers $10 off a $50 purchase! Enjoy!!! (Click on photo for more information)
What a cute idea! They look delicious!! 🙂
I love everything you make Ruthanne!
Pingback: Upside Down Oreo Cupcakes | Culinary Porn