These mini fudge cupcakes are topped with the creamiest peanut butter frosting ever! If you like peanut butter and chocolate together you will LOVE this recipe!!
Ah peanut butter… I just crave it sometimes! Add chocolate and you pretty much have achieved perfection in the dessert world (at least in my humble, not-allergic-to-peanuts, view). These cupcakes are easy to make and they won’t last long! Here’s how to make them: (printable recipe)
INGREDIENTS: (makes about 40 mini cupcakes)
- 1 1/2 cups of dark chocolate chips
- 1 stick (4 oz.) salted butter
- 2 T. cocoa powder
- 4 egg yolks
- 6 egg whites
- pinch of salt
- 1/2 c. sugar
- 3 sticks (1 1/2 cups) butter (softened to room temperature)
- 1 cup of creamy peanut butter
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 1 Tablespoon vanilla
- One bag of mini Reese cups (optional for decoration)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- In a microwave safe bowl, melt chocolate with butter in 30 second increments, stirring between until smooth and creamy.
- Whisk cocoa powder into melted chocolate.
- Add egg YOLKS and whisk until smooth. Set aside.
- Add a pinch of salt to the egg whites and whisk until foamy.
- Add sugar gradually to egg whites while beating on high until medium peaks form.
- Add 1/3 of egg whites to chocolate and mix well- until completely combined and smooth.
- Add remainder of egg whites and fold in gently until completely incorporated.
- Spoon batter into mini-cupcake liners in tins (fill about 3/4 full) and bake at 350 degrees for 10-12 minutes.
- Remove from oven and cool completely.
- To make frosting, place butter, vanilla, and peanut butter into a large bowl and mix on high until smooth (about a minute)
- Add powdered sugar and beat on low until combined and then on high until light and fluffy.
- Place frosting in a zip-top bag fitted with a decorating tip and pipe on top of each cooled cupcake.
- Top each cupcake with a mini Reese Cup and a sprinkle of cocoa powder (as desired)
My thoughts: Yum….! Yep, that pretty much sums up my thoughts…mmmmm….! I hope you enjoy these as much as I am right now!!!
Other peanut butter-y recipes you will love: