- 1c. butter
- 2c. sugar
- 3 eggs
- 2 tsp. vanilla
- 2 c. flour
- 1/2c. cocoa
- 1/2tsp. salt
- 1c. milk
- 1 c. chopped walnuts (optional)
- 10 c. powdered sugar
- 16 tbsp. (one cup) melted butter
- 4 tsp. peppermint extract
- green food coloring (to desired shade of green)
- 12oz. semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 12 tsp. butter (do not substitute margarine here!)
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Cream butter and sugar together.
- Beat in eggs, cocoa, vanilla and salt.
- Add flour and milk (alternating them and mixing well in between)
- Spread evenly in greased jelly roll pan.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 15 minutes or until done in center and just starting to pull away from sides.
- Add melted butter to sugar and extract.
- Mix well, using water to bring it to a thick but spreadable consistency.
- Add food coloring to desired shade of green.
- Spread over cooled brownies and chill for a few minutes to harden up.
- Melt butter and chocolate together in the microwave in 30 second increments, stirring in between until completely melted and smooth.
- Pour over cooled mint frosting and spread evenly over top
- Chill until top layer is hard and cut into bars.
- Using green chocolate melts that are melted and placed in a ziplock with a corner clipped, drizzle over the top of the warm glaze.
- Draw a tooth pick , knife or skewer through the chocolate- 1st one direction and then back the other to make a fun design on the top of these bars.
My thoughts: These brownies are 100% mom I grew up enjoying these yummy treats (she always put the nuts in though and I really prefer them without!) My mom is an amazing cook and baker- these are just one of many of her recipes I love! I’ve no idea where she got this recipe– I do know that its been modified throughout the years (more mint…more chocolate- YUM!) One fun twist to this is that you can color the mint layer with any color. I’ve matched shower colors with these– made orange halloween brownies….etc. REALLY fun and yummy recipe– enjoy! -r