Dark chocolate cookies infused with espresso powder. Once you’ve had one you will be craving a plateful!!! They are really easy to make, and since they are a cut-out cookie they can be made in any shape you want. Aren’t the plain round ones so fun though???
Here’s how to make them: (printable recipe)
INGREDIENTS: (makes 36 medium cookies)
- 2 sticks (1 cup) butter, softened
- 1 1/2cups sugar
- 2 eggs
- 3 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3 teaspoons instant Espresso Powder
- 2/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 3 cups flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- Cream together butter and sugar in a large mixing bowl.
- Mix in eggs and then cocoa.
- Place vanilla and Espresso Powder together in a small cup until coffee dissolves. Add this mixture to the batter and mix until completely incorporated.
- Gradually add dry ingredients and mix until smooth (use clean hands at the end, to knead into a soft ball of dough)
- Wrap in plastic and chill for at least one hour.
- Allow cookie dough to soften a little at room temperature
- Preheat oven to 350F degrees.
- Roll out cookie dough on floured counter.
- Cut into desired shapes and place on a parchment-lined baking sheet.
- Bake for 8 to 11 minutes until the edges are firm.
- Gently slide parchment paper off of cookie sheet and onto a flat surface. Cool completely before removing cookies from paper.
I iced these with royal icing that I added a little espresso powder to.
For my royal icing recipe and techniques, click here.
To get the tiny heart shape at the center I used a little melted chocolate. While the icing is still liquid, pipe a little circle just a bit above the center of the cookie. Use a tooth pick to pull down through the icing and the chocolate, making a heart. Allow the icing and chocolate to harden completely. Enjoy!!
These are simple to make and probably the easiest cut-out cookie dough I’ve ever worked with. Not sticky or fussy at all! I adore anything with coffee in it, so I would add even more espresso powder next time. Make them to your taste by adjusting the amount you add. Paired with a cup of coffee, they are just…..perfect! Enjoy!!! ~r