These cupcakes are filled with a sweet key lime filling and topped with key lime buttercream…what could be better than that? Oh, how about a graham cracker crust on the bottom of the cupcake? This dessert is as close to key lime pie as you can get…without it being a pie! (printer friendly recipe)
INGREDIENTS: (makes 24 cupcakes)
- 1 cup key lime juice (a labor of love….!)
- 1 can (14 oz.) sweetened condensed milk
- 1 egg
- 2 cups of graham crackers (finely crushed)
- 3 Tablespoons of butter (melted)
- 1 boxed yellow cake mix (plus water, oil and eggs to make according to package)
- 2 sticks (8 oz) salted butter (at room temp)
- 2 sticks (8 oz) unsalted butter (at room temp)
- 3 cups of powdered sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 2 Tablespoons of key lime juice
- Mix together key lime juice, sweetened condensed milk and egg and pour into a small casserole.
- Bake at 325F degrees for 15-20 minutes (until center is set)
- Cool completely.
- Mix crushed graham crackers with melted butter.
- Spoon about 1 teaspoon of this mixture into 24 cupcake liners in muffin tins (you’ll have a little left to garnish with at the end)
- Press crumbs firmly into bottom of cup (I find my Mini Tart Shaper to be very useful for this)
- Make cake mix according to box, and divide batter equally between the 24 cupcake liners.
- Bake according to directions on box
- Remove from oven and cool completely.
- Core cupcakes (I love my Cupcake Plunger– it is so quick to use and saves the core to place back on top of the filling- to see a picture of how it works, click here).
- Spoon cooled filling into a zip top bag and clip a corner off.
- Pipe filling evenly into each cupcake, saving about 1/4 of a cup of filling to drizzle on the top at the end.
- Place top of core back in place (you can trim some of the bottom off to make room for the filling if you need to)
- Place butter, powdered sugar, vanilla and 2 Tablespoons of key lime juice into a large bowl.
- Using a mixer, beat on high until light and fluffy.
- Pipe frosting on top of cupcakes and drizzle remaining filling on top.
- Sprinkle with remaining graham crust crumbs and ENJOY!!!!
My thoughts: I created these for a graduation party. The challenge was to create a key lime cupcake for someone who LOVES key lime pie. Key lime pie is one of my favorite desserts, so it was a fun task. These were a big hit. I love the balance between the tart center and the sweet cupcake and frosting.
It’s spring~ you NEED a key lime cupcake!!!
You might also like: