Moist cake layered with buttercream and tart key lime filling. A perfect summer treat!
Key lime pie is one of my favorite desserts. It’s just so refreshing and fun! Whenever I am pondering the question of what dessert to try in a restaurant I am always caught between chocolate and anything key lime.
I’ve already done a few key lime recipes here on Easybaked, but never a cake. Until today…..
The key lime filling is tart, but the sweet buttercream layered with it makes each bite a refreshing treat!
Here’s how to make it: (printable recipe)
- One boxed yellow cake mix (with eggs, oil and water to make according to package)
- 1 cup of key lime juice
- 1 can (14 oz) of sweetened condensed milk
- 1 egg
- 2 sticks (8 oz.) of salted butter
- 2 sticks (8 oz.) of unsalted butter
- 3 cups of powdered sugar
- 2 teaspoons of clear vanilla
- 1/4 cup crushed graham crackers
DIRECTIONS: (make filling 1st to save time)
- Make cake mix according to package and bake in two 8 or 9 inch round pans.
- Turn cakes out of pans onto a cooling rack and cool completely.
- In a medium mixing bowl blend together key lime juice, sweetened condensed milk and egg until combined.
- Pour into a small casserole dish and bake at 325F degrees for 15-20 minutes until center is set.
- Cool completely (I make this 1st and place it in the fridge while I make the cake and frosting)
- In a large mixing bowl, add softened butters, powdered sugar and vanilla.
- Beat on high for several minutes until frosting is light and very fluffy.
Putting the cake together:
- Trim the tops of cakes to make them flat using a large serrated knife.
- Cut each cake into 2 layers using the same serrated knife.
- Place 1st layer on a serving plate and lightly layer with frosting.
- Spread 1/3 of the cooled key lime filling over layer
- Place 2nd layer on top and repeat until last layer has been placed on top.
- Frost entire cake (top and sides) with buttercream frosting.
- Crush a few graham crackers and gently press the crumbs along the sides of the cake.
- Decorate as desired. I used little dollops of extra frosting and little lime green chocolates.
My thoughts: I love this cake so much! It’s not only one of my favorite flavors, but it’s pretty and it holds together so well and cuts beautifully! If you love key lime like I do, this is the cake for you! I hope you get a chance to try it!!! Enjoy! ~r
Other layer cake recipes you might enjoy: