INGREDIENTS: (makes 18-20 cupcakes)
- One boxed dark chocolate cake mix (plus water, eggs and oil to make according to box)
- 1 c. semi sweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 c. whipping cream
- 1/4 c. cocoa powder
- 1/2 c. white baking chips
- Heat semi-sweet chips and whipping cream in the microwave, stirring every 30 seconds until completely melted and smooth, making a ganache.
- Refrigerate for about 2 hours, until hardened to a soft fudge consistency.
- Scoop small balls of cold chocolate ganache out of bowl using a small cookie scoop (I highly recommend a small cookie scoop for this job- the chocolate is sticky and hard to work with until it is rolled in cocoa- a scoop makes it so much easier!)
- Roll balls in cocoa powder and keep refrigerated until use.
- Preheat oven to 350F degrees
- Make cake mix according to box and spoon about 1 1/2 tablespoons of batter in 18-20 cupcake liners in tins.
- Gently press a ball of ganache into the center of each cupcake.
- Cover each ball with a small scoop of cake batter- just enough to cover the ball completely.
- Bake at 350F for the time recommended on the box.
- Remove from oven and serve warm with ice cream and drizzles of white chocolate.
If you aren’t serving immediately, warm each cupcake in the microwave for 15-20 seconds before serving.
My thoughts: I’ve had many a molten lava cake and cupcake before, but usually they fall apart right out of the pan. These cupcakes hold together beautifully and don’t leak all that warm fudge out until they are cut into. They are perfect re-heated and sooooo yummy with a little ice cream and raspberry sauce. A perfect treat for a chilly fall day!! Enjoy!! ~r
Other cupcake recipes you might enjoy: (click on the image to be taken to the recipe)