These beautiful, stacked desserts have layers of ice cream sandwich and a creamy butterscotch filling. Topped with melted chocolate, they make a fun and elegant summer dessert!
I’ve been craving ice cream sandwiches. These little desserts were a combination of that craving and an extra box of butterscotch pudding in my cupboard. I love how they turned out! They require some hands-on time and an overnight in the freezer, so they aren’t a last minute idea- but I think the extra time is worth it!! The end result is pretty and SO yummy! Here’s the recipe:
INGREDIENTS: (printable recipe here)
- One box of 12 ice cream sandwiches
- 1 (3.4 oz) package of Jell-O Instant Butterscotch pudding mix
- 1 1/2 cups of cold milk
- 1 tub of Cool Whip topping
- 1 cup of chocolate chips
- 6 tablespoons of butter
- Make butterscotch filling first, and freeze overnight
- In a large bowl, beat together milk and pudding mix on high for 3 to 4 minutes until thick.
- Fold in 1/2 of the container of Cool Whip topping
- Put parchment paper in a small (I used a 9×9 square) pan, and spread pudding mixture evenly into container.
- Freeze overnight.
- To assemble, use a fluted square (I used a 2″ inch square) cookie cutter to cut ice cream sandwiches. I got 2 squares from each sandwich. Return to freezer after cutting.
- Remove pudding mixture from freezer, lift out of pan using edges of parchment paper, and lay on a clean counter.
- Cut squares using the same cookie cutter (dip in warm water between cuts, if it becomes sticky), return to freezer as you cut them.
- Assemble no more than one or 2 hours before serving, and keep frozen.
- Melt chocolate chips and butter together in the microwave in 30 second increments, stirring in between, until melted and smooth.
- Place an ice cream sandwich square on a plate, top with butterscotch filling square, top with a second ice cream sandwich square.
- Drizzle with melted chocolate (and I added a few butterscotch chips).
- Return to freezer and keep frozen until serving.
My thoughts: These are the most spectacular dessert to serve (you should have heard the oohhh’s and ahhh’s!), and the most awkward dessert to eat. The kids figured out that you need to just pick these up and eat them with your fingers! I allowed mine to melt just a touch, and then it was perfect with a fork! The flavors are so yummy! Butterscotch and chocolate? Yes, please!!!! Enjoy! ~r
Other yummy frozen treats:
looks delicious…..yum yum…
These looks amazingggg!
These look so good, I just want to shove them in my mouth 😛
Haha!!! Well that is the preferred method of eating them!!!