With a fruit cereal crust and sweet, creamy Kool Aid filling, this cake will have you and every child in your life asking for seconds!
This recipe is made in a springform pan- like a cheesecake. The crust is made of crushed Trix Cereal and I made my filling with watermelon Kool Aid. It was perfect with the sweet crust and slightly tart filling. The cool thing? You can use ANY flavor of Kool Aid you want! Blue Raspberry, Green Apple, Cherry, Grape, Strawberry….ANYTHING!
So. Much. Fun!!!!!!!!!
Here’s how we made it: (for a printable recipe, click here)
- 6 cups of Trix Cereal (crushed into about 3 cups)
- 1 stick (1/2 cup) butter (melted)
- 3 Tablespoons of sugar
- 1 package (8 oz) of Philadelphia Cream Cheese (softened to room temperature)
- 1 packet of Kool Aid drink mix (any flavor~ if you use a lemonade, add it to taste, as it will be more tart than the other flavors)
- 1 (13 oz) jar of Jet-Puffed Marshmallow Creme
- 1 tub (8 oz) of Cool Whip (thawed in refrigerator)
- Preheat oven to 350F degrees
- In a large mixing bowl, combine crushed cereal, sugar and melted butter. Mix until well- combined,
- Press into an un-greased, 8″ springform pan, pressing crumbs up sides and into bottom.
- Bake at 350F degrees for 15-18 minutes.
- Leave sides on pan, and cool completely.
- Make filling by creaming together the cream cheese with the Kool Aid. Add Kool Aid according to how much flavor, color and tartness you enjoy. I added the whole packet, and YUM!
- Mix in the entire container of Marshmallow Creme and blend well.
- Fold in 1/2 of the Cool Whip until well blended.
- Carefully spoon filling into cooled cereal crust, and very gently (as to not pick up crumbs of cereal), spread it to the edges.
- Spoon remaining Cool Whip on top.
- Store chilled, and just before serving remove sides of pan, and sprinkle extra cereal on top.
My thoughts: The only thing even a tiny bit hard about this recipe is pressing that crust into a springform pan. The rest is just mixing and pouring. So easy- but such a pretty and fun dessert. The watermelon version I made got RAVE reviews and it was gone in one evening. Almost everyone had seconds! I wasn’t sure how well the watermelon flavor would go over, but it was so refreshing! I loved it! I hope you get a chance to try this easy summer recipe! Enjoy!!! ~r
More recipes that kids will love: