Show a little love this Valentine’s Day with these Oreo Love Bugs!
Easy to make ahead and wrap up as gifts!
I just have to keep making Oreo Pops… there are so many possibilities and all of them are yummy and cute! I’ve pretty much failed at cake pops, but these? My favorite!
I made Lady Bugs Oreo Pops a couple of years ago, and when I was visiting Florida last month I was subjected to everyone’s horror stories about some awful little bug called a Love Bug. I guess people hate them down south, but when I heard “Love Bug” I immediately pictured these. Sweet little pink bugs with hearts and sprinkles!
Aren’t they fun? Cuteness overload….! These really aren’t hard to put together- especially if you’ve made Oreo Pops in the past. (If you haven’t ever made them, click here for a tutorial).
Here’s how we created these little love bugs! (printable recipe here)
INGREDIENTS: (makes 25-30 Oreo Pops)
- 1 package of Oreo Double Stuff cookies
- 1/2 bag of Wilton’s candy melts in white
- 1 bag of Wilton’s candy melts in bright pink
- 1/2 bag of Wilton’s candy melts in black
- Heart-shaped sprinkles (I used these), pink/red jimmies or sugars
- Candy eyes
(If you want to simplify these- don’t add a stick. Just dip the Oreos using a fork, and skip the following steps for inserting a stick!)
- Gently twist apart all Oreos.
- Melt white candy melts in the microwave in 30 second increments, stirring between until melted and smooth.
- Dip one end of a lollipop stick into the white chocolate, spread a little on the top of the white Oreo filling and then press the stick flat into the center of the filling.
- Place top of Oreo on, and set on a cookie sheet. When all Oreos have sticks inserted, pop these in the freezer for 15-20 minutes (until they are nice and firmly set).
- Melt pink candy melts in the microwave in 30 second increments, stirring between until melted and smooth.
- Have parchment paper spread on your countertop and have your sprinkles ready.
- Dip an Oreo into the pink melts, spooning melts over top and sides. Tap on edge of bowl to get rid of excess and slide bottom of Oreo along edge of bowl to remove drips.
- Place on parchment paper and while melts are still soft, sprinkle with hearts and sugar or jimmies, leaving these OFF the top 1/3 of the cookie. Allow these to harden.
- Melt black candy melts in the microwave in 30 second increments, stirring between until melted and smooth.
- Spoon black melts over the top 1/4 of the cookie and then tap to remove excess and slide bottom across bowl edge to remove drips.
- Set on parchment paper and place two eyes on top.
- Once all heads and faces are done, spoon remaining black melts into a small zip-top bag. Clip a corner, and pipe a center line down the middle of the cookie as pictured.
- Allow Oreo pops to harden. Bag them up individually or store them in an air-tight container.
My thoughts: One of the main reasons I love Oreo Pops is that you can make them ahead for events. I’m baking quite a few things for an orientation next week and these are DONE. Wrapped in cute bags, tied with cute ribbons and ready to go. Cross one thing off my list! I also made some of my personal favorite Valentine’s treats: Frog Prince Oreos. If you need hearts for the 14th, you have these Love Bugs. If you’ve kissed one too many Frogs this year… well. These other Oreos are for you:)
Happy Valentine’s Day !!!!
Other Valentine treats here on Easybaked (click on a photo to see the recipe):