Tah Dah!!! One last melted frosting recipe…for now…This one has yummy melted chocolate frosting inside and poured all over the top. YUM!!!!!!
I love making this cake in various forms. It is SO quick and easy to put together and everyone loves it! This time I added Andes mint candies for a refreshing mint twist to this recipe. I think you will love it!!
Here’s the recipe: (printable version)
- 1 boxed chocolate cake mix (with oil/eggs/water to make according to directions)
- 2 packets of Dream Whip (found near the jello/pudding boxes at the grocery)
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 3 tablespoons powdered sugar
- Andes Baking Chips 10 oz
- One container of pre-made chocolate frosting
- Make cake mix according to box and bake in 2 – 8 or 9 inch round pans (I cut parchment paper to fit, spray the pan with non-stick spray, and place it in the bottom of each pan so that the cake comes out easier).
- Cool cakes completely on a wire rack and while they are cooling make your whipped filling:
- Put Dream Whip, milk, vanilla, cocoa powder and powdered sugar into a mixing bowl and blend together.
- Using a mixer, beat until stiff peaks form (3-4 minutes)
- Fold in Andes mint baking chips, saving aside a few for topping.
- Scoop chocolate frosting into a microwave safe bowl and heat for only about 20-30 seconds in the microwave. Heat until frosting is melted into a hot fudge consistency.
- Use a large serrated knife to level your two cakes.
- Place 1st cake on serving plate, leveled edge up.
- Pour about 1/4 of melted frosting on top of cake and spread to cover (I put this layer in the fridge for about a minute just to cool the warm frosting down before adding the mousse layer)
- Spoon all of the mousse on top of the cake and spread it ALMOST to the edges.
- Top with second cake– put the leveled edge against the mousse…this keeps all the crumbs in the middle and leaves a nice flat surface on the top of your cake. Gently press top layer down to squeeze the mousse all the way to the edges.
- Pour the rest of the melted frosting over the entire cake and let it drip over the edges.
- Sprinkle the remaining Andes Mint bits on top.
- Refrigerate until serving, this will make the middle layer firm and easy to cut.
My thoughts: I love this cake. It is a beautiful dessert that is just so quick and easy to put together!
That creamy mint filling….oh my. I hope you get a chance to try it! Enjoy! ~r
Other yummy chocolate treats here on easybaked: