Celebrate Cinco de Mayo with these adorable maracas made with Oreos and candy sunflower seeds!
I love Mexico! I’ve been there on vacation, and I’ve been there many times to work alongside the people of a little town called Siete Ejidos in Sinaloa. I love the food, the beautiful people, the music, and the bright, fun colors that are everywhere! Seriously- why is it unacceptable to paint a house bright blue and orange in the States? (or at least in my neighborhood…)
These were such fun cookies to make because you can just go crazy with color and make any design you want! Use sprinkles or candy…I used chocolate covered sunflower seeds on mine, and I love how they turned out! They have that “bead” look you often see on maracas and other art in Mexico.
Here’s how we made these (printable recipe here)
(If you have never made Oreo Pops before, check out our tutorial here.)
INGREDIENTS: (makes 24-30 Oreo pops)
- One box of Double Stuff Oreos
- 1/4 cup of Wilton’s Candy Melts in white.
- Wilton’s Candy Melts in a variety of colors (you’ll need at least 3 bags of them)
- One box of Dots Candy
- Gently twist apart all Oreos.
- Melt white candy melts in the microwave in 30 second increments, stirring between until melted and smooth.
- Press a lollipop stick through a Dots candy until about 1 inch of the stick is out of the other side (see photo below).
- Dip end of a lollipop stick into the white chocolate, spread a little on the top of the white Oreo filling and then press the stick flat into the center of the filling.
- Place top of Oreo on, and set on a cookie sheet. When all Oreos have sticks inserted, pop these in the freezer for 15-20 minutes (until they are nice and firmly set).
- Melt one color of Candy Melts in the microwave in 30 second increments, stirring between until melted and smooth.
- Gently spoon color over bottom 1/4 of Oreo (see photos below). I gently turned the stick so I could spoon color on the back too- then tap stick against side of bowl to drain excess. Set on parchment paper and allow this to harden up.
- Melt second color of Candy Melts as above. Spoon color over the rest of the Oreo, tap stick against bowl to drain away excess, place on parchment paper, and gently place sunflower seeds in flower pattern in the center (or add sprinkles…or drizzle chocolate…). Allow this to harden.
- Melt third color of Candy Melts and spoon over top 1/4. Tap stick against bowl to drain excess and set on parchment paper to harden.
- Allow candy melts to harden completely, and then pipe line/dots on in any color (I used black).
My thoughts: These are a delicious little way to celebrate Cinco de Mayo! Once they are hardened up, you can tie them into little individual cello bags and they will keep for weeks. I love make-ahead treats!
Are you a recent arrival to the incredible fun of Oreo Pops?? They are one of our favorite things to make here on Easybaked- and we have them for every possible occasion! Here are a few to try: (click on photo to see recipe)
Or are you looking for great recipes for Cinco de Mayo?? We have those too! We love to celebrate this holiday here!!