I’m in love with cookie dough. When I go to those fancy yogurt shops where you make your own sundae I am always tempted to skip the yogurt and just fill my dish with those little cookie dough bites. This easy (super, super easy) layer cake is filled with my favorite creamy cookie dough. I’ve used it to top cupcakes and to fill brownies— and now to fill cake. I love it. I think you will too!
As in most of my recipes, this dessert is made simple with the use of a cake mix (I used a Duncan Hines Dark Chocolate Fudge here), but you can substitute your favorite cake recipe instead. More work… but that’s up to you!
Here is how we put this cake together: (printable recipe)
- One boxed chocolate cake mix (plus water, oil and eggs to make according to package)
- 2 sticks (8 oz.) unsalted butter(softened)
- 2 sticks (8 oz.) salted butter(softened)
- 2 c. powered sugar
- 1 c. brown sugar (packed)
- 3 T. vanilla
- 1/3c. flour
- 1 (12 oz) bag of mini chocolate chips.
- 1 1/2 sticks of salted butter
- 1 12 oz. package of semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Make cake mix (or your favorite cake recipe) and bake according to box/recipe in 2- 8 or 9 inch round pans.
- Cool cakes completely.
- While cakes are baking and cooling, make your filling.
- Place all filling ingredients except mini chips into a large mixing bowl and beat with mixer on low until combined and then high until light and fluffy.
- Add mini chips (keep about 1/3 of a cup aside to sprinkle on sides and top of cake) and beat on low until fully combined.
- Make glaze by melting butter and chips together and set aside.
- Once cakes are cool, trim the tops so they are flat.
- Place 1 cake on serving plate, cut side up, and spread a little of the glaze on top.
- Spoon all of filling on top and spread all the way to the edge of the cake.
- Place second cake on top, cut side down, and use a knife to smooth edges of filling flat between the two cake layers.
- Sprinkle edges of filling with extra chocolate chips, and then pour glaze over the top and add the rest of the chips.
- Refrigerate until firm.
My thoughts: I wondered if the filling layer was too thick (it’s a lot of filling!) I knew that I would love all that cookie dough, but would others? They did. It got rave reviews and even a 2 thumbs up from a frosting-hater 🙂 You could make half of the filling recipe if you want- but it is honestly soooo yummy to have a big bite of cookie dough with every bite of cake. Wish I had some left…! Enjoy! ~r
Other fun layered caked here at Easybaked (click on a photo to see the recipe):