You’ve heard of cake pops, cookie pops, brownie pops, doughnut pops and even pie pops— but have you ever tried a Hot Chocolate Pop? Creamy chocolate surrounding a marshmallow surprise center- pop it into a cup of hot milk and YUM- a perfect yummy creamy cup of cocoa. Wrap them up and they make the PERFECT winter gift!
- Wilton White Candy Melts and Wilton Dark Candy Cocoa Melts. You will need about one 12 oz. bag per 8 pops.
- Marshmallows (one for every pop you intend to make!)
- Stir sticks (I found these cute dowels at Michaels)
- Small plastic cups (I used 3 oz. clear plastic cups by Solo)
- Clear plastic bags I used Wilton Lollipop Bags -they are so easy- perfect size and come with a bow!
- Cute tags– use mine if you want or make your own!! 🙂
Hot Chocolate Pop Labels
Hot Chocolate Pop Labels- Mint
Hot Chocolate Pop Labels- Instructions for use.
- Melt candy melts in the microwave in 30 second increments, stirring between until smooth.
- Spoon melted candy into a zip-top bag and seal.
- Clip a corner off and squeeze about a teaspoon of chocolate into the bottom of each cup. Tap cup against counter to spread chocolate and remove bubbles.
- Place cups in the refrigerator for about 5 minutes until chocolate is hard.
- Press dowels or stir sticks into marshmallows
- Squeeze about 2 teaspoons of chocolate (I used a contrasting color) into cup and while it is still melted, press marshmallow into cup (this will squeeze the chocolate up along the sides of the cup.) Tap to remove bubbles.
- Top with chocolate until marshmallow is completely covered -or—
- (If you are using contrasting chocolates) Refrigerate about 10 minutes until second layer is hard and then add contrasting chocolate over the top, completely covering marshmallow.
- Place cups in fridge for about 30 minutes to an hour.
- Clip top of cup with scissors and tear it down the side which will release the pop.
- Serve or gift wrap! Enjoy!!!
- To eat pop: Use a BIG mug (20 oz.) and heat up about 10oz. of milk in it. Place pop in hot milk and stir until smooth and creamy!
My thoughts: I love these so much…I love to come up with fun and creative edible gifts each year for giving in bulk (Bible studies, family get-togethers, hair stylist etc…) and these are just FUN!!! I am wholeheartedly a blonde and my 1st use of these involved a full cup of hot milk plus a pop -resulting in a huge lake of hot milk on the counter…so learn from me and use a big cup with room in it for the pop- lol!
Also– I found MINT Wiltons candy melts and that is how I got the mint cocoa flavor. I just added a little layer of green candy melt before I put lots of white melts and a marshmallow– I like how it turned out! I wish I’d thought to take pictures as I went for you- I just forgot! (NOTE: see below!!) Experiment with colors and flavors- these are pretty forgiving projects!
Enjoy– and a very Merry Christmas to you!!!! -R
Ok– I had to make a second batch because I ran out. Since I was making them again I took the time to take some pictures for you of the process:
A little bit of chocolate in the bottom of a 3 oz. cup.
White chocolate added over dark and marshmallow pressed into center.
Dark chocolate added over white and marshmallow– don’t forget to tap the bubbles out!
Everything is so pretty set up for pictures….this is what my counter ACTUALLY looked like at the end!
Pops ready to go in the fridge to harden!
Clip the top of the cup and tear down the side to release. (I used paper cups too this second time and they worked great– you just have to peel them off a little more.)
I hope these help– have fun!! r-